Pack a picnic and have a cheap and easy family day out
For a fun filled and free day out with the family, nothing beats a picnic. So when the sun is shining, shake out the picnic rug, fill up the Esky and head to one of these five fabulous spots for a budget-friendly day out that will keep everyone happy, well-fed and entertained!
- Picnic in Paradise
They call it Paradise Point for a reason!
- Far enough from the hustle and bustle of Surfers to be free of the tourist mayhem, Paradise Point Parkland’s stunning sandy shoreline, winding walkway, picturesque park and awesome kid’s playground provide the perfect picnic and chill out zone.
- Recently kitted out with new amenities including bbqs and shelters, pack a picnic and kick back in the sunshine.
- And if you fancy a spot of shopping or entertainment after your picnic, on the 4th Sunday of each month the Paradise Parklands host the Village Markets.
- There’s also regular Movies Under the Stars
- Something for everyone
You can’t go past Hinze Dam as the perfect spot for a relaxing family day out.
- This magnificent spot has four different picnic areas to choose from, as well as bbqs and loads of walking and cycle paths.
- So pack the kid’s scooters and bikes along with your picnic, and have a fun day out!
- There’s also a café, some great fishing spots and a kids playground.
- Use this handy guide to help plan your day.
- Picnic by the pools
Get off the beaten track a little, and enjoy a picnic at this hidden wonder!
- Nestled away in Currumbin Valley are the Currumbin Valley Rock Pools.
- This stunning spot is a delight where slippery rocks provide natural slides into the pools.
- There are plenty of picnic tables, toilets, and a nice outlook over the rock pools.
- For a hidden treasure, walk 50m upstream from the main pools to discover a small yet beautiful waterfall.
- Picture-perfect and by the sea
If you enjoy a swim with your picnic, spots don’t come much better than Tallebudgera Creek.
- This picturesque spot is tucked in between Palm Beach and Burleigh Heads.
- Tallebudgera Creek has loads of picnic tables, bbqs, a large beach area with lots of natural shade, and a great playground for the kids.
- This stunning swimming spot has calm, crystal clear waters that make it perfect if you’ve little ones in tow.
- It’s a great spot for a swim, paddle boarding or just lazing about!
- And if you over-indulge over lunch, you can walk it off while enjoying the Tallebudgera Creek Conservation Park Walk. This beautiful 3km walk features a beautiful boardwalk through the mangroves.
- Hit the Hinterland
For those willing to get a little further off the beaten track, head towards Mt Tamborine.
- Here you’ll find a delightful little picnic spot on Main Western Road, where you can enjoy million dollar views with your meal.
- This magical spot is on a cleared patch of the western escarpment and is equipped with benches and binoculars.
- Enjoy your picnic with a view over an evening sunset, or head along earlier in the day and marvel in watching the hang gliders take off.
Wherever you choose, make the most of the warm weather and pack a picnic to enjoy a fun, free day out with the family!