Pack a picnic and have a cheap and easy family day out
For a fun filled and free day out with the family, nothing beats a picnic. So when the sun is shining, shake out the picnic rug, fill up the Esky and head to one of these five fabulous spots for a budget-friendly day out that will keep everyone happy, well-fed and entertained!
- Get back to nature
For a relaxing, tranquil day head to Wollongong Botanic Garden.
- With a large variety of gardens for all to explore and a playground to enjoy, Wollongong Botanic Garden has something for every member of the family.
- Open from 7am to 5pm daily, entry is free, there’s plenty of parking, and even a free shuttle bus from town.
- The gardens also offer a range of activities and educational programs you might like to enjoy on your visit – check out the program.
- Dining with a million dollar view
If you like to enjoy a breathtaking view with your meal, then head to Mt Pleasant Lookout in Kiama.
- On the Kiama bends heading south, this gorgeous spot offers stunning views across Gerringong, Gerroa and the green surrounds.
- There’s plenty of rolling green lawns, for the kids to run around on, along with a picnic table.
- Pack a bottle of bubbles to make your picnic truly special. You might also like to follow your picnic with a tour of some of the area’s wineries!
- Something for everyone
Whether you’re a history enthusiast, nature lover, or a kid with energy to burn, head to Cataract Dam.
- This fabulous picnic spot is one of the oldest and most picturesque dams in New South Wales.
- The castle-like sandstone building on top of the wall and the fancy tower will capture everyone’s imagination.
- With beautiful scenery and viewing areas, Cataract Dam has loads of parking and is completely free.
- The picnic areas offer electric bbqs, drinking water, plenty of picnic tables, and toilets.
- There’s a fabulous playground for the kids
- Nature enthusiasts can indulge their wilder side with some great bush walks and bird watching.
- Plan your day with this handy map of the Cataract Dam Recreation Area.
- By the seaside
When the sun is shining, you can’t beat a picnic by the beach.
- Head to City Beach Wollongong and enjoy a relaxing picnic on the grassy foreshore as you watch the boats come into the harbour.
- You can walk or cycle along the path to WA Lang Park where there’s a great playground and some picnic huts. There’s also a large grassy reserve to run around, play some games and work off your lunch!
- You could also venture around to take in the lighthouse and views at Flagstaff Hill.
- And for more great waterside picnic spots on the Wollongong waterfront, try this handy guide to Wollongong’s Foreshore Parks.
- From the sea to the sky
Another magnificent seaside spot is Stanwell Park Beach Reserve.
- Just beyond the golden sands of Stanwell Park Beach, in this large reserve you can loll around on the grass and enjoy a picnic after your swim or surf, without having to worry about sand in your sandwiches!
- If the wind is blowing, you’ll also be able to enjoy the view of the hang-gliders above, as they spiral down from Bald Hill Lookout
- While you’re there, don’t miss a trip across – and stop on – the infamous Sea Cliff Bridge. This iconic 665 metre stretch is a Grand Pacific Drive highlight that will delight everyone, from the littlest to biggest of kids.
Wherever you choose, make the most of the warm weather and pack a picnic to enjoy a fun, free day out with the family!