Top tips for Australia Day festivities around Newcastle
The date of Australia Day has been the subject of some controversy lately. Whatever your view, the Australia Day long weekend provides time to catch up with friends and family, celebrating all things Aussie.
Here’s some cheap and easy ways to celebrate Australia Day long weekend around Newcastle.
Swimming, flying and boating fun!
- Newcastle boasts an action-packed Australia Day program, with a huge array of events to choose from!
- From 9am – 12 noon Newcastle City Hall hosts the Australia Day Awards and Citizenship ceremonies.
- The Australia Day Newcastle Harbour Swim takes place on the harbour from 9am.
- Enjoy the air show from 12:30 at Fort Scratchley and Newcastle Harbour.
- There’s all-day action from the Australian Formula Powerboat GP, which takes place at Honeysuckle, Newcastle Harbour.
Throw a few prawns on the barbie
Pack a picnic
- For a summer feast without having to fire up the barbie, pack a picnic and head to one of the fabulous picnic spots around the Hunter region.
- Top local picnic spots include
Whip up some Aussie classics
- Wherever you’re dining, Australia Day is the perfect time to tempt your tastebuds with some classic Aussie culinary favourites.
- If you’re handy in the kitchen, try making a classic Aussie meat pie. Or take a shortcut and swing by T&P’s Firestation Pie Shop in Cooks Hill to pick up one they’ve got ready and waiting for you!
- How about a pavlova for dessert? You could make your own pavlova, or pick up one from Coles in Waratah and top it with some whipped cream and your favourite summer fruits.
- Lamingtons are another Australia Day classic dessert. Try your hand at making them, or pop into Michel’s Patisserie at Wallsend to grab yourself some of these tempting cakey, chocolate and coconut treats!
Hit the pub
- The Australia Day long weekend is a great excuse to catch up and enjoy a few drinks with mates, or treat the family to a meal out.
- Head to one of these local favourite pubs around Newcastle!
Have a splash
- Hit the beach or cool off over the Australia Day long weekend with a dip at your local pool around Newcastle.
- Check out the ‘Swim and Swing’ live music action happening from 10am – 2pm at Beresfield Swimming Centre along with the aquatic centres at Lambton, Mayfield, Stockton and Wallsend.
Need a small fast cash loan for your long weekend festivities?
- However you plan to celebrate this Australia Day, if you need a quick and easy cash loan to see you through, City Finance can help!
- Pop in and visit our friendly staff at our Mayfield branch for a chat.
- You can also phone us on 1300 10 10 44, or apply online today!