Save big bucks buying and servicing your car
Whether you’re after a new car or need yours serviced or repaired, here’s some top tips for finding big discounts for a cheap car in Wollongong and the Illawarra area.
Finding a cheap car in Wollongong
Going, going, gone!
- Get a great deal on a cheap car in Wollongong by buying at the South Coast car auctions.
- Customers can find some good bargains, but be sure to keep your cool and do your homework first.
- Know the true value of the make and model you’re bidding on. Consider attending a few auctions as an observer before you try bidding.
- This way you’ll be less intimidated by the often frenzied environment, and can stay firm on sticking to your maximum price when bidding.
- Head to the South Coast Car Auction in Kemblawarra at noon on Saturdays.
- Another way to save some big cash on buying your new car is to through a private sale.
- Skip the fancy overhead costs of buying through a used car dealer. Head online for private car sale listings around Wollongong on sites like Trading Post, Gumtree or Car Sales.
- By narrowing your search to cars for sale privately around the Illawarra region, you’ll save time and money and make it easy for you to go and see the car you’re interested in.
- It’s also often a good idea to have a pre-purchase inspection done, so you can rest assured there’s no significant issues with your potential new car.
- Contact the NRMA who can conduct a mobile pre-purchase inspection near you in Wollongong to give you peace of mind.
Savings on servicing and repairs
Go online for great discounts
- There’s just no need to pay retail prices for car servicing and auto repairs nowadays.
- Check sites like Groupon and Shop A Docket for some hefty savings.
- Current discount offers around Wollongong include:
Ask the Guru
- Auto Guru is a great online service that lets you compare car service, inspection and repair costs from over 1600 mechanics all around Australia.
- Their network includes businesses all around Wollongong, Dapto, Shellharbour and Kiama.
- You’ll be given quotes from a range of providers around the Illawarra and will have the peace of mind of knowing what it’ll cost upfront.
- There’s often some great discount coupons and deals on offer too.
Skip dealer servicing – it’s a myth!
- Lucky enough to have a brand new car? Don’t be fooled into believing that you have to have it serviced through the dealership to keep your car manufacturer’s warranty intact.
- Use our tips above to shop around for the best servicing deal and stick with a trusted mechanic.
- Use them to ensure your car is serviced and the log book completed in line with the schedule and specifications in your owner’s manual or warranty logbook.
- Parts don’t have to be genuine to keep the warranty intact, but ask for an itemised account for all work done. That way, if there’s ever a problem with the parts used, the repairer or part manufacturer will be responsible.