Dining out when you’re on a budget doesn’t have to break the bank
Whether you’re catching up with friends and family, dining out for a special occasion or have just been caught out with nothing to eat in the fridge, it’s always nice to treat yourself to a meal out.
But when you’re not flash with cash, it can be hard to find good dining options that are both tasty and won’t break the budget. Forget the over-priced tourist traps – here’s our guide to the some of the best cheap eats on the Gold Coast.
You can’t go past a good burger!
The reviews don’t lie – while it may be in a tourist hotspot, Brooklyn Depot Burgers and Brew in Surfers Paradise is getting rave reviews from locals and tourists alike, with prices that are equally pleasing.
- Voted Best New Restaurant in the 2016 Eat Drink Awards, the American inspired menu includes wings, rings and fried chicken as well as hefty burgers and gourmet hotdogs.
- At just $10, their handcrafted Brooklyn Classic beef or Flip the Bird chicken burgers are sure to please both your taste buds and your wallet!
- Milkshake fans unite – Brooklyn Depot also boast the #1 winning spot on the list of the Gold Coast’s best milkshakes!
Quirky and healthy – a café with a twist!
Also a winner in the 2016 Eat Drink Awards – Best Café – is the quirky and authentic Paddock Bakery in Miami.
- Housed in a charmingly renovated weatherboard cottage, this local favourite bakes a range of tasty breads and treats including their house-roasted muesli and famous Nutella doughnuts.
- With no meal priced at more than $15.50, the Paddock Bakery’s health-conscious menu features delights such as acai bowls, salads such as the raw detox or za’atar roasted carrots with freekah, toad in the hole, crème fraiche scrambled eggs or everyone’s favourite – trusty toasted sandwiches.
A budget family favourite
Parkwood Tavern is a firm family favourite for some pretty good reasons!
- Rated in the Top 3 of Gold Coast Cheap Eats, the Grazier Steakhouse has tasty budget steaks, a sunny outdoor dining area and kid’s entertainment room – so there’s something to keep everybody happy!
- Parkwood’s offers a range of weekly and monthly specials, such as $10 off steaks on Wednesdays, half price parmigiana on Thursday, and 2-for-1 $11 lunches for uni students on weekdays.
- Plus they’ve got the kids covered too -their free Club 4 Kids membership means the kids get a free gift with every kids meal purchased, along with special birthday treats and offers.
Spice things up
If you love to sample and savour the tastes of Asia, you can’t go past Neon at Broadbeach.
- Serving Asian fusion-style street food at low prices, rave reviews are coming in about the $5 baos and dumplings.
- Neon offers restaurant-quality food at takeaway speed and price, and their tasty dishes combine the flavours of Thailand, Japan and Taiwan in tapas-style plates.
Dine al fresco without breaking the bank!
For something different, enjoy those balmy Gold Coast evenings by eating out under the stars.
- The NightQuarter markets come alive in Helensvale every Friday and Saturday night from 4pm – 10pm.
- Hit Tapas Street for Italian and Spanish inspired share plates and tapas, or Hawker Street for authentic Singaporean street food flavours and atmosphere. Or try The Depot for some tasty tacos, or The Backyard for a cook-your-own bbq dinner.
- And once you’ve had your fill, there’s an eclectic mix of fashion, jewellery and art stalls, together with live music and entertainment.
With views to die for and a budget friendly menu of bistro favourites, it’s hard to go past your local Surf or RSL club for a great, value packed meal.
- From the traditional roast dinner through to fish and chips, burgers and mouth-watering steaks and contemporary favourites like salt and pepper squid and Atlantic salmon, your local club has it covered at low prices.
- Check out this reader voted guide to the Top 10 RSL and Surf Lifesaving Clubs on the Gold Coast, or this handy guide to the Gold Coast’s RSL Clubs.
- Why not whip yourselves into a frenzy at the Southport Sharks Frenzy Food Court. With a great value buffet, Frenzy is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week, with specials including a $6.50 weekday lunch, and kids dine free on Monday nights.
We’re sure that’s all gotten your tummy rumbling, so what are you waiting for? Treat yourself to a meal out with your mates now!