Pack a picnic and have a cheap and easy family day out
For a fun filled and free day out with the family, nothing beats a picnic. So when the sun is shining, shake out the picnic rug, fill up the Esky and head to one of these five fabulous spots for a budget-friendly day out that will keep everyone happy, well-fed and entertained!
- Kids paradise
If you’re after a location that’s guaranteed to please the kids, you can’t go past Darlington Parklands.
- Featuring an amazing free waterpark, Darlington Parklands has a range of water play activities plus shallow pools for the kids to splash about in.
- There’s also a basketball court and a fabulous playground featuring a climbing dome, flying fox, multi swing, musical wall, forts and a sand pit.
- There’s loads of picnic shelters, bbqs and grassy spaces for picnicking and playing games.
- Other facilities include toilet blocks, outdoor gym and a boardwalk amongst the wetlands.
- And don’t miss the daily LED light show!
- A park with a difference
If you’re keen for your kids to have less screen time and more green time – head to Karawatha Nature Play Space.
- This fabulous and innovative family park has large picnic lawns, sheltered tables and free electric bbqs.
- But the best feature of the Karawatha Nature Play Space is the innovative playground that will keep the kids occupied for hours.
- Nature based play spaces will challenge the kids to get back to nature, take risks and get dirty. There’s also a water play space with a rocky dam.
- More fun for the kids – and dog!
For a fun and action-packed picnic, Underwood Park ticks all the boxes.
- This huge and beautiful park has lots of covered picnic shelters and bbqs.
- There’s loads of open space and playgrounds for the children, including the fabulous Peter-Pan themed Funderwood Hollow.
- Even your four-legged friend will love this spot, as there’s a large off-leash area where he can run around.
- Other facilities include basketball, BMX and skate areas.
- This is one spot that’s guaranteed to please everyone in the family!
- Get back to nature
Berrinba Wetlands offers lots of sprawling green lawns where you can throw down a rug and unpack a picnic.
- There’s also bbq facilities and lots of picnic tables and shelters.
- Featuring several shaded kids playgrounds for a range of ages, there are loads of paths for bike and scooter riding.
- Big kids will love the flying fox.
- Dogs are welcome too, just be sure to keep them on the leash.
- Other facilities at Berrinba Wetlands include toilets, water stations and 8km of walking tracks and boardwalks.
- Something for everyone
With something to entertain everyone in the family, Logan Gardens Park is a must-do picnic spot.
- With lots of grassy open space, sheltered picnic tables and electric bbqs, Logan Gardens Park has your picnicking needs covered.
- The kids will love the fenced all abilities playground, featuring a climbing wall, forts, musical play equipment, sand play and slides.
- Other facilities include a bike track, bocce, disc golf and toilets.
- Bring the dog along as there’s an off-leash area where he can enjoy himself too!
- And if you over-indulge at lunch, work it off in the outdoor gym!
Wherever you choose, make the most of the warm weather and pack a picnic to enjoy a fun, free day out with the family!