Free and easy exercise ideas the whole family can enjoy
The family that plays together, stays together! Have some fun exercising together and enjoying a few laughs with your family. It needn’t cost you a cent, and you’ll all enjoy the feel-good vibe.
Here’s some great fun and free ways to get the whole family moving
Hit the park
Have a ball running around the local park – take a ball, frisbee, cricket set or whatever you fancy!
- For that added fitness burst, Wollongong and the Illawarra area has lots of great parks kitted out with fun, stimulating and challenging fitness circuits.
- Parks where fitness equipment is available include WA Lang Park on Marine Drive in Wollongong, Kanahooka Park, Nicholson Park in Woonona and Holborn Park in Berkeley.
- Let your furry four legged family member join in the fun! Parks where your dog can happily play off the leash include Proud Park in Helensburgh, Riley Park in Unanderra and King George IV Park in Port Kembla.
- And Wollongong Council’s Dogs on beaches and parks in Wollongong brochure outlines dog parks and beach areas where your dog is allowed off their lead.
Family Fun Run
Got some little joggers in the family? Make it a family affair!
- Take a regular fun run together, without the usual expensive entry fees.
- Jump on the Park Run Every Saturday you can head to your nearest site to join a free 5km run.
- There’s a Park Run each week at Sandon Point.
On your bike!
Grab a bike and a helmet for each member of the family, and head for a Sunday cycle.
Get back to nature
Take a bushwalk with the family. It’s free and fun, and a great way to enjoy a chat together while you exercise.
- For fun trails around Wollongong that the family can enjoy together, check out this great guide to walking trails in the area.
- From the Blue Mile boardwalk along Cliff Road to beautiful bushwalking trails in the Royal National Park and Illawarra Escarpment, there’s stunning walks for all fitness levels and abilities.
- And this National Parks guide to some great walks in the Wollongong area will also inspire you and the family to get walking.
- You don’t have to venture any further than your own backyard to enjoy a workout with the family.
- Create an outdoor obstacle course, play a game of ‘tip’ or have a family tug-of-war.
- You could also set up your own putt-putt golf course or have a water pistol fight!
- Whatever you and the kids enjoy – you needn’t look any further than your own backyard!
For those days when it’s pouring with rain or you’re stuck at home – you and the kids can still enjoy some exercise together indoors.
- Jump online to sites like YouTube and Vimeo and search for family or kids workouts – there’s millions to choose from, for free!
- Or why not borrow a fitness DVD from your local Wollongong library? You can burn 500 kilojoules doing a 20-minute resistance-training circuit in your lounge room.
- You could also play a Wii or Play Station sports game that gets you moving – the kids will love it!
So no matter where you are around Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama and the Illawarra, there’s loads of fun and free ways you can get your family moving along the road to fitness, without busting your budget. Get started today!