Budget tips for finding and caring for your pet
One of the joys of having a pet is the companionship and fun they can bring. But pet ownership also brings with it some responsibilities and expenses.
Here’s some ways to save cash while finding and caring for your pet
Finding your pet on the Central Coast
You don’t have to go to an expensive breeder or pet shop to meet the newest member of your family.
- The Gosford Dog Paws manages pound services on behalf of the council, and also has dogs available for adoption. Have a look at all the beautiful dogs they have awaiting new loving homes.
- There’s also the Central Coast’s Claws and Paws Pet Rescue which fosters and rehomes animals, or the RSPCA’s Central Coast shelter in Somersby.
- Animal rescue shelters like these have dogs, cats, bunnies, mice, birds, reptiles and other animals just waiting to be welcomed into new loving homes.
- Your rescue pet will have been examined by a vet, vaccinated, microchipped and desexed, and the adoption fee is a fraction of expensive pet store or breeder prices.
- Other options for finding your new pet at a price that suits your budget include Gumtree, the TradingPost, PetsOnline and PetSale.
Registering your pet
If your pet is a dog or cat, you’ll need to register them with Gosford City Council.
- The law requires all dogs (except farm working dogs and greyhounds) to be microchipped and registered for life, and the same for all cats sold or given away after 1 July 1999.
- Registration fees range vary depending on the whether your animal is de-sexed.
- Eligible pensioners receive significant discounts, so be sure to check when contacting the council.
Getting out and about with your pet
The Gosford area has 40 parks designated as off-leash exercise areas,, and nine off-leash exercise areas on our beaches.
- Check the council’s website for a full listing and maps of these designated areas.
- You and your dog will both love the fully enclosed dog exercise park at Sensory Park, Showground Road, Narara. Featuring a double gated exercise area to control access, drinking fountain with dog bowl and loads of established trees, it’s the perfect spot to let your dog have a good run around off the leash.
- Other parks where your dog can happily play off the leash include Adcock Park on Racecourse Rd, and Caroline Bay Reserve in East Gosford.
- There’s also areas on loads of our beaches that you and your dog can enjoy together, including Forresters, Wamberal, Terrigal, Avoca and Nth Avoca, and Copacabana.
- Be aware that the law says your animals must wear a collar and tag at all times when outside your property.
Grabbing a coffee or bite to eat with your pet
After you’ve enjoyed a nice long walk together and worked up an appetite, it’s nice to stop somewhere for a cuppa where you know your furry friend is also welcome.
Buying food and accessories for your pet
When your pet is sick
When your pet needs pampering
Many breeds need regular grooming to keep their coat and nails in good health and condition.
So no matter what you need for your pet, there’s plenty of friendly places and businesses in the Gosford area that have it covered!