Our guide to the best ways to burn calories without burning a hole in your wallet
As the weather cools down, it’s the perfect time of year to get yourself moving. Get out and about to warm up, enjoy some fresh air and reap the benefits of exercise and become fit for free.
Here’s our top tips for ensuring you fit into those winter jeans without busting your budget!
Start walking….or even running
Getting fit really can be as simple as lacing up your trainers and heading out for a stroll, power walk or a run – whatever pace takes your fancy!
- Not only does walking (or running!) boost your heart rate up and blood pumping, but it’s free! Walking is not only a great way to exercise but also a chance to see friends and enjoy a chat.
- You can also explore parts of Sydney CBD that you haven’t yet seen. Plus, you’ll be saving on fuel and cash by leaving the car or bus pass at home!
- If you enjoy group fitness, check out The Heart Foundation Community Walking Network. As Australia’s largest free community-based walking network, this is a brilliant way to take your first steps to increase your physical activity.
- Check out their huge range of walking groups in the Sydney CBD area, including KGV Walk Group in The Rocks, and the Annandale and Newtown Neighbourhood Centre groups.
- There’s also this great guide to walks around the Sydney CBD. From the tourist tracks of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, through to the for the stunning Bondi to Coogee coastal walk, the Sydney CBD area features stunning walks for all fitness levels and abilities.
- Runners will love jumping onto the Park Run bandwagon. Every Saturday morning you can head to your nearest site to join a free 5km run. There’s a Park Run each week at St Peters, or check out their website for other locations and more info.
Outdoor gyms – fun and free!
Sydney has lots of great parks where you can have fun with the family while working on your fitness. As a result, you could jog to your nearest park as a warm up, and enjoy the free facilities.
- Check out these fabulous free outdoor gyms in suburbs including Camperdown, Ultimo, St Peters, Surry Hills, Bondi, Clovelly, Queens Park and Rushcutters Bay. With facilities like these, why would you pay for an expensive gym membership?
- There’s also a great fitness circuit at Sydney Park in St Peters. In addition to being completely free, these outdoor gyms are a great way to improve your fitness level and general coordination.
- Check out this guide to all the other great parks in Sydney CBD and explore one near you today!
Live life and get fit for free!
The fabulous and free Live Life and Get Active program is getting thousands of Aussies up, out and active every week!
- Come and join in today – Live Life Get Active is a great way to become fit for free and make new friends while enjoying our beautiful parks, inhaling fresh air, and having a laugh.
- Live Life Get Active run lunchtime and evening classes at locations including Chippendale Green, Ultimo, Pyrmont and Sydney CBD. Search here for your nearest location!
- Classes include X Training, Boxing and Yoga – and it’s all free!
Create your own outdoor workout
Prefer to head to your own local park or beach and craft your own workout session, without needing fancy equipment?
- You’ll find some great outdoor workout routines here and here.
On your bike!
Sydney has some spectacular cycling routes and trails.
Free personal training by phone
Give NSW Health’s Get Healthy program a call! This free, confidential service will provide all the info and support you need to make healthy lifestyle changes, including:
- healthy eating
- being physically active
- achieving and maintaining a healthy weight
The service offers up to 10 free coaching calls with a personal health coach for up to 6 months. There is access to great info and tips, a coaching journal to write down your goals, as well as great website with tools to help you track your progress.
- Get fit for free today and give them a call on 1300 806 258 or visit their website.
Free Seniors exercise classes
The NSW Active & Healthy initiative offers a range of free exercise programs for older residents.
- From Tai Chi and Yoga to walking groups and strength building or gentle exercise classes, there’s something to suit all needs.
- Jump online to check out the range of active seniors classes available near you. Locations include Sydney CBD, Redfern, Glebe and Rozelle.
If team sports are more your thing to boost motivation, there’s a huge variety of sports and training options all over the Sydney CBD area.
And for those rainy days….
You don’t have to miss your workout on those days when the sun isn’t shining or you can’t leave the house.
- Borrow a fitness dvd from the library. You can burn 500 kilojoules doing a 20-minute resistance-training circuit in your lounge room – not to mention the feel-good endorphins you’ll generate!
- Jump online and start one of the gazillions of free workout videos that are available for free. They cover everything from gentle exercises to get you started, to full 12-month fitness programs.
- Try popular sites like YouTube and Vimeo – just search for the type of workout you’re after, and off you go!
- Or check out the range of fitness collections available online through the NSW Government’s Healthier You program. There’s a great range of goal-based workouts available, completely free of charge.
So as you can see –there really are no more excuses! It seems like there are loads of fun and free ways to start moving along the road to fitness, most importantly without busting your budget. Get fit for free today!
If you are in need of a quick cash loan to fund your next adventure, call City Finance Sydney CBD branch on (02) 9212 2267 or apply online.