Ways you can volunteer your time and talents
Got a little spare time on your hands? Whether you’re unemployed, a student, or retired, chances are you know what it feels like to be down on your luck. But we all have something to we can offer the more needy members of our local Gold Coast community – our time.
Volunteering is more than your opportunity to help make the world a better place. It can help you to feel happy and fulfilled knowing you’re making a real difference. You’ll meet amazing people, build work experience and learn valuable new skills.
Here’s some great ways you can help others in the Gold Coast area
Keen to volunteer but not sure where to start?
- Look no further than Volunteering Gold Coast – the largest volunteer resource centre in Australia.
- They list over 300 volunteer roles at any one time, so you’re bound to find something that suits your needs.
- You can also meet one-on-one with an Information Officer, to match you to the right volunteer role for you.
- The range of participating organisations looking for volunteers on the Gold Coast includes seniors groups, the environment, the arts, animals, youth, health, sporting, and migrant services.
Love thy neighbour
- Take the time to get to know your neighbours and exchange a smile and hello each day. And if you haven’t seen a neighbour in a while, drop by to check that they’re ok.
- If you have an elderly, disabled or unwell neighbour, perhaps you could pop their bins out and check their mail for them.
- Build a happy, connected neighbourhood – celebrate Neighbour Day this Sunday 26th March! Organise an event in your street – grab your free kit here!
Fun and fitness for kids
The PCYC on the Gold Coast aim to give kids the opportunities they need to become great adults,
- Volunteers like you can help deliver sport, recreation and leadership development programs.
- You can get some valuable workplace skills and help support Gold Coast kids to reach their full potential!
- To get involved, contact the PCYC in Broadbeach Waters, Ashmore or Nerang.
Help the homeless
- Get involved with local organisations who provide meals and support services to those around the Gold Coast who are homeless or at risk.
- Groups you can donate your time to include the Gold Coast Project for Homeless Youth and the Gold Coast Homelessness Service.
- Services like these are always looking for more generous volunteers to help them to help those most in need in our community.
Got a passion for sport? Get involved with your local sports club.
- Sports of all codes are always looking for volunteers to help out with committees, grounds maintenance, coaching and managing teams.
- Whatever sport you have a passion for, from netball or Little Athletics, soccer to mountain biking, contact your local club for info on how you can volunteer.
Be a part of history
- And don’t miss your chance to play an important role in the Gold Coast’s 2018 Commonwealth Games!
- Volunteers are needed for more than 15,000 important jobs – register today!
Meals on Wheels
- Whether it’s cooking in the community kitchen, driving or delivering meals to those in need, join the 15,000 Queensland volunteers who support the valuable Meals on Wheel service.
- This service is not only about delivering delicious, nutritious meals to those in need – it’s as much about being a smiling, friendly face and providing valuable social interaction.
- They’re in a few Gold Coast locations. To help out, phone them in Southport on 5532 1429, or the Paradise Point branch on 5577 3188.
And many more!
Get involved and start making a positive difference in your local Gold Coast community today!