On your bike!
Whether you like to take a leisurely weekend cycle with the family, use your bike to get around town daily, or are a serious cyclist with a passion for long rides, the Gold Coast has a lot to offer cyclists.
Benefits of cycling
Jumping on your bike has loads of benefits, including
- building fitness and strength
- saving you cash on vehicle, fuel and registration expenses
- getting you out of the traffic
- letting you enjoy and take in your gorgeous surrounds
- quiet, pollution free and kind to the environment
Planning your cycle around the Gold Coast
The Gold Coast is the perfect place to get into cycling!
- Our beautiful Gold Coast boasts more than 1000 kilometres of bikeways that link neighbourhoods, schools, foreshores and parks, and interconnect with major transit routes.
- To make the most of using your bike to get around time, it’s important to take the time to plan your ride before you set out.
- Check out the City of Gold Coast’s cycling information page for some great local guides and tips.
- MapMyRide is a great website that stores routes around the Gold Coast created by fellow users, giving you some great trip ideas.
- You can also use MapMyRide to create routes of your own, finding the fastest way to go or measure the distance you’ve travelled.
Free Gold Coast Cycling Guide
- This fabulous book provides cycling advice, road safety information, cycle maps and lanes to help you get the most out of cycling in the city.
- Download the Gold Coast Cycling Guide for some great cycling hints and tips, resources and maps to help you plan your journey.
- Or to order a pocket-sized hardcopy to keep on hand while you’re out and about, email [email protected] or call 07 5582 8453.
Get social with your cycling
- To see what’s happening amongst keen cyclists around the Gold Coast, check out Facebook groups like Gold Coast Cycle Combine.
- And check out handy blog posts like this one which reviews some great cycle routes through the Gold Coast hinterland.
It’s a good idea to learn how to do safety checks and maintenance on your own bike.
- The City of Gold Coast offers a series of free workshops to help cyclists of all ages and abilities get the most out of your bike.
- So whether you’re a child or adult just learning to ride, an advanced cyclist or one who simply wants to enjoy an easy Sunday social ride, check out the range of free workshops
- And to be sure you know how to check your own bike and equipment, check out this handy bicycle safety check list.
Keen to take your cycling to another level?
If cycling is a passion that you’re keen to share with like-minded mates, then get in touch with some of the Gold Coast’s cycling clubs.
- Check out clubs like the Gold Coast Cats and the Gold Coast Gold Stars.
- These fun community clubs offer quality training, run club championships and race events, social events and much more.
- So whether you’re a beginner or an experienced rider, they can help you take your cycling to the next level.
Why not become a member?
- If you’re keen to formalise your membership of the cycling fraternity, then think about joining Bicycle Queensland.
- You’ll get access to some great cycling events, bike maintenance workshops, insurance cover, discounts and more.
So go on – jump on your bike, and get riding!