Cheap, easy and light meals anyone can make in a flash
As the weather heats up, you often need a meal that is quick and easy yet filling – and most importantly doesn’t involve turning the oven on. Enter the salad.
No longer just a simple lettuce and tomato affair, these days salads have been reinvented as yummy, filling and tempting bowls full of surprises, that anyone – even guys, ha! – can make.
Here’s a few of our favourite simple yet filling salads
Quick and easy cous cous
- Cooking doesn’t get simpler than cous cous.
- Fast and filling, it’s as easy as pouring a cup of hot stock into a bowl with a cup of cous cous, and leaving it to soak for 5 minutes. Voila!
- Add your toppings, and dinner is done in no time.
- Try this yummy warm chicken and cous cous salad.
- And if you enjoyed that one, you’ll also love this spicy cous cous salad.
Power salad that packs a punch
- This Edamame power salad ticks a lot of boxes – it’s vegan, gluten free and packed with protein.
- But most of all – it’s really yummy! You can enjoy it warm or cold.
- If you prefer, feel free to substitute edamame (which are young green soybeans) with broad beans, which you can buy in the frozen vegies section of the supermarket.
- Salads don’t have to be boring! Add a little theme – it’ll also add to the appeal if you’re cooking for kids too. And who doesn’t love Mexican?!
- Try this easy Mexican salad with beans, corn and tomatoes. Add some corn chips or tortillas on the side – dinner is done!
- Or if you’d like to add a little beef and ramp things up a little, try this tasty Mexican beef salad. Ole!
Or go Vietnamese
Pesto pasta, pronto!
- Yep, don’t forget that salad can include carbs like pasta! Pasta salad is still a salad – right?
- Try this tuna pasta salad with rocket pesto – it’s a good one to whip up ahead of time and keep in the fridge to enjoy cold.
- Add a few handfuls of rocket leaves to green it up!
- A cheat’s trick for those short on time is to skip making your own pesto, and grab a jar from the supermarket instead.
So, what’s on the menu tonight at your place?