Cheap ways to soak up some fun in the sun
The sun is shining and the mercury’s rising! Celebrate summer by getting out and about in beautiful Wollongong.
Here’s some top cheap, easy and safe ways to soak up the sunshine, without emptying your wallet.
Hit the beach
There’s no better – or cheaper! – way to celebrate the gorgeous summer sunshine than with a trip to the beach.
At the beach, conditions can change very quickly. What may seem like calm and safe conditions can quickly turn.
- Remember these rules to stay safe at the beach this summer:
- Don’t swim alone
- If there are no flags up, don’t go in the water
- Only swim at patrolled beaches
- Swim between the red and yellow flags
- Follow the advice of lifeguards and lifesavers
- If you get into trouble, stay calm and raise your arm
- Check out this handy guide to beach safety for some top tips to stay safe this summer.
Dogs don’t have to miss out!
Your pooch doesn’t have to miss out on the summer fun at the beach.
Pop into the pool
Want peace of mind while you and the family take a dip?
- Wollongong City Council operates five supervised fresh water chlorinated pools with professional life guard supervision.
- Even better, entry to 3 of these pools is free!
- Have a free fun and splash at Berkeley, Helensburgh or Western Suburbs chlorinated pools.
- The chlorinated pools at Corrimal and Dapto are heated and there’s an entry fee.
- Or if you prefer to get salty, Wollongong Council lifeguards also supervise 3 saltwater pools.
- Jump into one of these supervised salt water pools at Thirroul, the Continental pool at Cliff Rd at North Wollongong, or at Port Kembla.
- You can also take a dip at Beaton Park Leisure Centre, where they have a pool for lap swimming and swim lessons.
Got a pool at home?
Keep your family and friends safe – remember to keep watch!
- Tragically, 83 drownings occurred in private swimming pools in NSW between 2002 and 2015.
- Keep watch! Almost 60% of these drownings occurred because no-one was supervising use of the pool.
- Make sure you, your family and your pool are ready for a safe and sunny summer.
- Check out this handy information on home pool safety from the Royal Life Saving Society.
Over the coming summer holidays, keep an eye out for some pool inflatable fun!
Quick and easy way to find your closest splash point
- Not sure where your closest pool or patrolled beach is?
- Check out this handy map of Wollongong’s swimming spots.
Fill up the Esky
The summer sun means you (and the kids!) will quickly work up a thirst and be looking for a snack.
- Don’t let your day out cost the earth and have to hit the local shops for expensive refreshments.
- Keep an Esky on hand at home, and when packing for your day out throw in some cold drinks, fruit and snacks that you’ve pre-purchased at the supermarket.
- This will save you a small fortune and prevent a blow to your budget taking the shine off your day.
Stay sun safe
The last thing you want is for your fun in the sun to be ruined by a dose of nasty sunburn.
- Remember to Slip, Slop, Slap!
- Slip on a shirt, slap on some 50+ sunscreen, and slap on a hat.
So go on, what are you waiting for? Get out there and enjoy a beautiful summer in Wollongong!