19 April 2017
Take a budget break without the long drive
Camping is the ultimate budget holiday. A chance to relax, unwind and unplug from digital devices and daily life for a while.
The good news is, you don’t have the hit the road and drive for hours. There’s loads of fabulous places to camp around Wollongong and the Illawarra.
So grab your sleeping bag and tent, and let’s go camping!
Here’s 5 great camping spots near Wollongong
1. Beachside bliss
- Head to Coledale for a fabulous beach front camping experience.
- This blissful beachside grassy campsite is operated by the Coledale surf club. Rolling right on the golden sand, Coledale beach camp ground is tucked away beneath Illawarra escarpment.
- Facilities include hot showers, toilets, a powered kitchen, BBQs and laundry.
- This is a great spot to camp while enjoying swimming and surfing at the beach, perhaps some fishing or diving, or just sitting back and enjoying the view.
- The nearby village has some handy shops and dining spots including take away and the RSL.
- Check out their You Tube video for a taste of Coledale camping.
2. Kids’ paradise – without the drive!
- For a beachside camping experience without the long drive, check out Easts Beach Kiama.
- Here you’ll find a range of powered and ensuite campsites suitable for tents, camper trailers or caravans.
- The fabulous facilities here include amenities blocks, swimming pool, children’s playground and jumping pillow, and tennis courts.
- The kids will have a ball playing and swimming at the beach, or riding their bikes and scooters around the park.
- This sheltered beachfront camping and cabin park is also a great starting point for the spectacular Kiama to Gerringong coastal walk.
3. Get amongst the locals
- Durras Beach is the perfect spot to live amongst the local wildlife.
- At this South Coast camp ground you’ll have plenty of kangaroos lazing about, along with goannas, possums, bandicoots, kookaburras and parrots.
- Set in the Murramarang National Park and just 5 minutes from beautiful Durras Beach, this sheltered bushland setting offers flat campsites, each with its own fireplace.
- There’s a modern amenities block with coin operated hot showers and laundry.
- For those who’d prefer to have the hard work done for them, check out their Canvas Castlesor even a two roomed Canvas Kingdom. These are fully set up with a tent, chairs, table and stretcher beds – all you have to do is kick back and relax!
- Check out their You Tube video to get a feel for this bush camping experience.
4. Idyllic Eden
- Head a little further south and enjoy the serenity of Eden.
- Eden Beachfront Holiday Park is nestled in the valley and enjoys absolute beach frontage. Relax by the ocean or the creek and take in the stunning views, including perhaps dolphins and whales.
- Facilities include a fabulous children’s playground with a jumping pillow, tennis and volleyball courts, and there’s fishing, kayaking, surfing, pedal carts and tennis gear for hire.
- Campers can enjoy the convenience of ensuite camp sites, or there’s a range of cabin accommodation to choose from.
5. Coastal camping with convenience
- Head to Killalea State Park for beachside camping made easy.
- Just a 20 minute drive south of Wollongong, between Kiama and Shellharbour, the campsites here are large, flat and grassy.
- You can drive straight into your campsite and enjoy easy unloading and setting up.
- Facilities include hot showers, toilets and camp kitchens, and firewood is available for purchase.
- This spectacular conservation area is a great coastal spot where you can enjoy hiking and exploring, or relaxing and getting back to nature.