Pack a picnic and have a cheap and easy family day out
For a fun filled and free day out with the family, nothing beats a picnic. So when the sun is shining, shake out the picnic rug, fill up the Esky and head to one of these five fabulous spots for a budget-friendly day out that will keep everyone happy, well-fed and entertained!
- The perfect picnic spot
If you’re after a serene location where you can get back to nature, you can’t go past Bullocky Rest on Lake Samsonvale.
- This scenic spot by the lake has numerous picnic shelters, bbqs and toilets. It’s a picturesque spot that’s perfect for a relaxing family day out.
- The kids will love the playground and the outdoor nature play, or you can go bushwalking and do a bit of turtle and koala spotting.
- There’s wide grassy spaces that are perfect for a fun game of Frisbee, cricket or footy.
- While you can’t go swimming, Bullocky Rest is a fab fishing spot, so if you fancy a spot of fishing, apply for a permit here.
- Picnic by the seaside
When the sun is shining, you can’t beat a picnic by the beach.
- Head to family-friendly Scarborough Beach Park. This calm, surf-free beach is a great spot for families with young kids.
- Have fun enjoying a swim and exploring the rock pools, then venture up to Scarborough Park for a picnic.
- The park has a fabulous adventure playground, and the kids will love climbing in the majestic, winding cotton trees.
- Facilities include picnic shelters, electric bbqs, water fountains and toilets.
- There’s also a basketball court and lots of grassy space to enjoy.
- Sporting fun
One of the Moreton Bay region’s most loved parklands for families is John Oxley Reserve.
- With a great shaded playground, John Oxley Reserve has loads of parking, sheltered picnic tables, bbqs and a toilet block.
- There’s over 10 hectares of space, including the gorgeous 1.3km loop nature walk, the Carole Green walkway.
- This bush pathway leads to a beautiful boardwalk by the North Pine River. It’s mostly flat and shaded, and is great for kids.
- John Oxley Reserve also boasts five different sporting fields for soccer, rugby and athletics.
- Have a splash with your picnic
If you want to cool off and have a splash at your picnic, head to Settlement Cove Lagoon in Redcliffe.
- With a spectacular man-made swimming lagoon, wading pools and beach showers, Settlement Cove Lagoon and parklands provide loads of opportunities to cool off.
- There’s picnic shelters and bbq areas to enjoy, along with some great children’s playgrounds.
- There’s also loads of paths and bikeways to enjoy a stroll, cycle or a scoot or roller blade.
- This wonderful area is free to use and a great spot for a fun and free family day out.
- Something for everyone
With something to entertain everyone in the family, Pine Rivers Park in Strathpine is a must-do picnic spot.
- With lots of grassy open space, sheltered picnic tables and electric bbqs, Pine Rivers Park has your picnicking needs covered.
- The kids will love the playground, featuring a flying fox, pedal-powered train and children’s maze.
- Other playground features include a swings, see-saw, and helicopter style rotating rides.
- There’s parking, toilets and loads of open space and walking paths, plenty of room for a game of football, cricket or whatever takes your fancy!
Wherever you choose, make the most of the warm weather and pack a picnic to enjoy a fun, free day out with the family!