Jump onto these free deals from Wollongong City Council
Many of us don’t give the local council much thought – we tend to just think of them as the ones who empty our rubbish bins or fix potholes in the road. So you might be surprised to learn of these great free programs and services that Wollongong City Council offer to locals.
- Turn your trash into cash
As they say, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure!
- On Saturday 22nd October, celebrate the annual Garage Sale Trail – one big day of buying and selling that celebrates sustainability, creativity and fun.
- Plus, you can make some cash from your old stuff! Register your garage sale online for free.
- It’s the perfect opportunity to de-clutter and reuse items while making a little pocket money.
- And if you don’t want to host your own garage sale, join the Dapto Ribbonwood Centre Community Market Day Sale!
- Be part of a large group of stallholders and fun activities! To book in, phone 4227 8877.
- Art lovers unite
Those with a passion for art can indulge it for free at the Wollongong Art Gallery.
- One of the largest regional art museums in Australia, entry is free.
- The gallery has a major collection of over 2,500 items featuring Illawarra landscapes, contemporary Australian art, Asian art and Aboriginal Art from around Australia, including the work of local and South Coast artists.
- They also host exhibitions and activities that highlight the unique energy and creativity of the Illawarra region.
- Located at the corner of Kembla and Burelli Streets in Wollongong, the gallery is open Tuesday to Friday from 10am – 5pm, and on weekends from 12 noon – 4pm.
- Teen time
Teens have a free and fun place to hang out with council’s Youth Centres.
- With centres in Wollongong and Warrawong, teens can drop in to just chill out, or take part in a range of free activities.
- Check the website for drop-in days and times for each centre, and you can also follow them on Facebook.
- Whatever your interest –sport, art, music – even learning how to become a barista! – they’ve got something for everyone.
- Glorious gardens
Most locals are familiar with the beautiful Wollongong Botanic Gardens.
- But you may not know about the range of free activities you can enjoy there!
- There’s free garden story time for the little ones. With stories, sing-a-longs and rhymes, it’s lots of fun for you and your pre-schoolers.
- The next session is at 10:30am on Friday 28th October.
- There’s also regular garden discovery walks and bird-spotting sessions.
- Check the events calendar for all the latest happenings and details.
- Celebrate the Gong!
As locals we know how great the Gong is – and now there’s a special day to celebrate it!
- The Viva la Gong festival is coming up on Saturday 12 November, so mark the date in your diary!
- Head to MacCabe Park for a fun day of performances, stalls and workshops that celebrate the culture of our beautiful part of the world.
- Keep an eye on the website for full event and program details.