Buying without breaking the bank
It’s that moment we all dread – the washing machine shuddering to a stop in the middle of a cycle. Or the dishwasher packing it in just after you packed it full of dirty dishes. Or perhaps you’re moving into a new rental home and need to nab yourself a new fridge or dryer. One thing’s for sure – whitegoods are expensive! Here’s a few tips that will help you get your hands on whitegoods in Sydney, without spending too much of your precious cash.
5 ways to buy cheap whitegoods in Sydney
Get social in Inner Sydney
- Facebook isn’t just for uploading family pics and tagging your friends in funny memes. It’s also the perfect place to nab yourself a local bargain.
- Search for the Buy/Swap/Sell and other group pages for the Sydney city area like Sydney Inner West – Buy Swap and Sell and Swap Sell Buy or Trade – Eastern Suburbs Sydney. Many of these groups have a ‘search’ function that lets you enter your keywords, such as ‘fridge’ or ‘washing machine’.
- Otherwise take a scroll through the posts to see what’s on offer around you in spots like Newtown, Marrickville and Bondi Junction. Post a shout-out asking if someone nearby has a fridge or washer (or whatever appliance you’re after!) to sell.
- While you’re at it, you could post a few items you might have to sell. Perhaps make enough cash to cover the cost of your purchase. Smart, eh?
Going, going – gone!
- Online auctions are another super-smart and cheap way to nab a bargain on a new appliance.
- Head to ‘Appliances’ on eBay or Grays Online. Select the appliance type you’re after and sort the results to display the listings located closest to you to see what whitegoods in Sydney are for sale around your area.
- Whether you’re after a brand new one or are happy to buy second hand to save a load of cash, there’s bound to be a few options to choose from.
Score on seconds
- Don’t care if the box is a little beaten up, it’s a discontinued model or there’s a scratch or two on it?
- You can save some cash on a brand new appliance by buying a factory second.
- Around the Sydney area, head to Seconds World in Auburn to see what deals they have an offer.
- You’ll nab yourself a brand new appliance that’s still covered by warranty. This gives you peace of mind at a bargain price!
Extra special deals on ex rentals
- If you can’t afford a brand new appliance, consider hunting down a super cheap deal on an ex-rental one.
- Around Sydney try spots like Ex Rental Furniture and Appliances in Belmore to see if they can do you a deal.
- You can pick up a model that might show a few signs of wear and tear, but save you loads of cash.
Plus – score a big cash discount when you upgrade your fridge or TV
- NSW residents who have one of the following Centrelink cards can claim a big discount when upgrading their eligible fridge or TV:
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Health Care Card or Low Income Health Care Card
- Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card
- Under this offer from the NSW Government and The Good Guys, you can get 40 – 50% off when you upgrade your fridge or TV for a new more energy efficient model – which means you’ll also save cash on your future electricity bills!
- Check the website for full details and to see if you’re eligible.
Need some help coming up with the cash?
- If you’ve been caught out without enough emergency cash to cover the cost of replacing that broken down fridge or washing machine, City Finance can help!
- We’re always here to help you with access to a quick cash loan anytime you need it.
- Simply pop in for a chat with our friendly Sydney CBD branch staff, or give us a call today on 9212 2267.
- You can also apply online today!