5 tips and tricks save money on your big day!
So you’re in the Wollongong area and you’re planning your wedding. You want this to be the most unforgettable day of your life – but not because of the huge bill! Have the day of your dreams and start your new life together as husband and wife with a lot more money in your pockets by making some easy savings on your wedding costs.
Here’s 5 ways you can save on wedding costs in Wollongong – and start married life together with some extra cash
- Save on stationery
Skip the expensive, heavily embossed fancy invitations.
- Bridal beauty on a budget
If you’re the bride, this is probably one area you don’t really want to compromise on. After all, it’s the most important day of your life, and you want to be looking your best! But there are a few smart ways to make some big savings on bridal beauty.
- If you’re happy to consider doing your own makeup, make the most of those department store cosmetic counters. Try the beauty counters in David Jones on Crown Street or Myer in Wollongong Central, where you can often book in to have your makeup done for free, as long as you’ll be buying something –and you’re going to need some cosmetics for the big day anyway! They can show you all the tips and tricks you’ll need to know.
- Got a good friend who’s a hairdresser or makeup artist? Ask them if they’d consider making their services their wedding gift to you.
- If you’re booking a professional, you can often save loads by going to their salon rather than paying extra for them to come to you.
- Fashion that won’t break the bank
Brides – you don’t need to spend thousands of dollars to get your dream gown.
- Jump online to search for local wedding dress outlet and sample sales and boutiques which sell pre-worn designer gowns. You can save a fortune!
- You might also like to try Accapella Brides, Easy Weddings or Sposabella.
- If you’re shopping in bridal boutiques, don’t be afraid to negotiate on the price, especially if it’s a gown from a prior season or you’re buying other accessories.
- Got a seamstress in the family? Consider having your dress made just for you.
- Consider borrowing a dress – the cost of dry cleaning it before return is a small price to pay if you know someone who has your dream dress!
Grooms – hiring a suit for your big day can often be as expensive as buying one!
- Consider your venue and the style of your wedding when deciding what to wear. You won’t want fancy black tie and shoes for a beach wedding, so can make some savings on accessories here.
- While it can be an option for some, wedding suit hire can be really expensive. As an alternative, keep an eye out for suit sales in stores, and try to choose a suit that’s neutral and practical enough to be worn again in years to come.
- Try Lowes at Wollongong, Roger David at Wollongong Central or keep an eye on Myer and David Jones for sales.
- Don’t be afraid to negotiate, particularly if you’re getting married out of the peak spring and summer season.
- Flowers and decorations that won’t cost a fortune
Save a fortune on floristry by going DIY!
- Ask a savvy friend with a knack for floristry or a good design eye if they’ll consider doing your flowers as their wedding gift to you. There’s lots of easy to follow YouTube tutorials they can use.
- Get them to hit the Flower Markets and pick up your blooms at wholesale prices. Be sure to go with flowers that are in season to maximise your savings!
- Skip the fancy floral arrangements for your ceremony and reception. While they may look pretty, once the guests have all arrived they blend into the background and no one really notices them!
- Instead, opt for budget friendly table decorations like hurricane lamps and jars filled with candles, shells or other re-useable trinkets that suit your theme.
- Or consider repurposing your flowers, and moving floral arrangements from your ceremony to use as table centrepieces at your reception. Ask a trusted friend to take care of this for you on the day.
- Here’s some great budget friendly ideas for decorating your wedding.
- Getting your fill without emptying your wallet
When selecting your reception venue and planning your menu, there’s a few smart ways you can save.
- Consider having your wedding outside of the peak spring/summer season when prices – and venue availabilities – are at a premium.
- You can also make savings by having a weekday or a morning wedding.
- Look for a venue where you can BYO, such as many of the Illawarra’s stunning surf clubs. Check out this guide for some great venue ideas.
- This way not only can you have your favourite wines and beers, but you’ll save a small fortune on the drinks bill.
- A cocktail style wedding can make some big savings on food. Just be sure there’ll be enough food if serving canapes – you don’t want your guests going home hungry!
- Make your own wedding cake – or ask a talented friend if they’d consider doing so as their wedding gift to you.
- Serve your wedding cake as dessert. If you go for cupcakes, you can often avoid the ‘plating’ fee that many venues charge.
City Finance can help you with fast cash for your big day
Need help getting a little extra cash together for your wedding or honeymoon? Just pop in and visit our friendly staff at our Wollongong branch for a chat and some helpful advice.