Top tips for Australia Day festivities around Bankstown
The date of Australia Day has been the subject of some controversy lately. Whatever your view, the Australia Day long weekend provides time to catch up with friends and family, celebrating all things Aussie.
Here’s some cheap and easy ways to celebrate Australia Day long weekend around Bankstown.
Free Australia Day fun and festivities
- Bankstown’s Australia Day celebrations have something for everyone.
- Head to Garrison Point in Georges Hall for family fun. There’s food and entertainment including rides, a petting zoo and face painting.
- At 4pm the concert kicks off with live music including X Factor finalists and a high energy dance spectacular.
- The grand finale is at 9pm, with a spectacular fireworks display.
Pack a picnic and enjoy the day!
Throw a few prawns on the barbie
- What could be more Aussie than enjoying a BBQ with some mates or family?
- Invite your nearest and dearest around and throw some snags and prawns on the barbie.
- For some great inspiration check out this fab Australia Day recipe collection!
- Of course, it wouldn’t be an Aussie BBQ without a hit of backyard cricket! Grab yourself a bargain with this backyard cricket set from Target at Bankstown or Roselands.
- If you take your cricket a little more seriously, head to Rebel at Bankstown to check out some of their budget backyard cricket sets.
Pack a picnic
- For a summer feast without having to fire up the barbie, pack a picnic and head to one of the fabulous picnic spots around Bankstown.
- Top local picnic spots include
Whip up some Aussie classics
- Wherever you’re dining, Australia Day is the perfect time to tempt your tastebuds with some classic Aussie culinary favourites.
- If you’re handy in the kitchen, try making a classic Aussie meat pie. Or take a shortcut and swing by a bakery like BC Home Style Bakery in Bankstown to pick up one they’ve got ready and waiting for you!
- How about a pavlova for dessert? You could make your own pavlova, or pick up one from Coles Greenacre, Revesby or Roselands and top it with some whipped cream and your favourite summer fruits.
- Lamingtons are another Australia Day classic dessert. Try your hand at making them, or pop into Michel’s Patisserie in Bankstown to grab yourself some of these tempting cakey, chocolate and coconut treats!
Hit the pub
- The Australia Day long weekend is a great excuse to catch up and enjoy a few drinks with mates, or treat the family to a meal out.
- Head to one of these local favourite pubs around Bankstown!
Have a splash
Need a small fast cash loan for your long weekend festivities?
- However you plan to celebrate this Australia Day, if you need a quick and easy cash loan to see you through, City Finance can help!
- Pop in and visit our friendly staff at our Bankstown branch for a chat.
- You can also phone us on 9708 4211, or apply online today!