Top tips for Australia Day festivities around Penrith
The date of Australia Day has been the subject of some controversy lately. Whatever your view, the Australia Day long weekend provides time to catch up with friends and family, celebrating all things Aussie.
Here’s some cheap and easy ways to celebrate Australia Day long weekend around Penrith.
Free Australia Day fun and festivities
- Penrith is the place to be on Australia Day! Head to Jamison Park in South Penrith to enjoy the free family fun.
- Kicking off free 3pm, the fun and entertainment include pavlova decorating, face painting, wood carving, handspun crafts, amusement rides and bubble soccer.
- There will also be lots of interactive displays and shows including the Swamp Dawkins bush dance band.
Throw a few prawns on the barbie
- What could be more Aussie than enjoying a BBQ with some mates or family?
- Invite your nearest and dearest around and throw some snags and prawns on the barbie.
- For some great inspiration check out this fab Australia Day recipe collection!
- Of course, it wouldn’t be an Aussie BBQ without a hit of backyard cricket! Grab yourself a bargain with this backyard cricket set from Target at Penrith or St Marys.
- If you take your cricket a little more seriously, head to Rebel at Penrith to check out some of their budget backyard cricket sets.
Pack a picnic
- For a summer feast without having to fire up the barbie, pack a picnic and head to one of the fabulous picnic spots around Penrith.
- Top local picnic spots include
Whip up some Aussie classics
- Wherever you’re dining, Australia Day is the perfect time to tempt your tastebuds with some classic Aussie culinary favourites.
- If you’re handy in the kitchen, try making a classic Aussie meat pie. Or take a shortcut and swing by Penrith Pies and Pastries to pick up one they’ve got ready and waiting for you!
- How about a pavlova for dessert? You could make your own pavlova, or pick up one from Coles Penrith, Cambridge Gardens or Glenmore Park and top it with some whipped cream and your favourite summer fruits.
- Lamingtons are another Australia Day classic dessert. Try your hand at making them, or pop into Michel’s Patisserie in Penrith to grab yourself some of these tempting cakey, chocolate and coconut treats!
Hit the pub
- The Australia Day long weekend is a great excuse to catch up and enjoy a few drinks with mates, or treat the family to a meal out.
- Head to one of these local favourite pubs around Penrith!
Have a splash
- Cool off over the Australia Day long weekend with a dip at your local Penrith pool.
- Ripples in Penrith has a 50m outdoor pool along with a shaded kids pool and splash play area.
- Another great place to splash in and cool off is the Nepean Aquatic Centre in Emu Plains. Check their website for pool hours, availability and entry details.
Need a small fast cash loan for your long weekend festivities?
- However you plan to celebrate this Australia Day, if you need a quick and easy cash loan to see you through, City Finance can help!
- Pop in and visit our friendly staff at our Penrith branch for a chat.
- You can also phone us on 4732 6500, or apply online today!