Top tips for Australia Day festivities around Sydney
The date of Australia Day has been the subject of some controversy lately. Whatever your view, the Australia Day long weekend provides time to catch up with friends and family, celebrating all things Aussie.
Here’s some cheap and easy ways to celebrate Australia Day long weekend around Inner Sydney.
Sydney celebrations this Australia Day
- The Sydney Harbour foreshow is the place to be this Australia Day.
- Witness a traditional Aboriginal smoking ceremony and a special Indigenous dance at Barangaroo from 7:30am.
- Other Australia Day events around Inner Sydney include the iconic Ferrython and the Tall Ships race.
- In the evening there’s a live music concert in the Opera House forecourt.
- Don’t miss the free Live at the Quay event happening at Circular Quay, with performances on the water topped off with a fireworks display.
Throw a few prawns on the barbie
Pack a picnic
- For a summer feast without having to fire up the barbie, pack a picnic and head to one of the fabulous picnic spots around Inner Sydney.
- Top local picnic spots include
Whip up some Aussie classics
- Wherever you’re dining, Australia Day is the perfect time to tempt your tastebuds with some classic Aussie culinary favourites.
- If you’re handy in the kitchen, try making a classic Aussie meat pie. Or take a shortcut and swing by The Pie Tin in Newtown to pick up one they’ve got ready and waiting for you!
- How about a pavlova for dessert? You could make your own pavlova, or pick up one from Coles Surry Hills and top it with some whipped cream and your favourite summer fruits.
- Lamingtons are another Australia Day classic dessert. Try your hand at making them, or pop into Michel’s Patisserie in Ashfield to grab yourself some of these tempting cakey, chocolate and coconut treats!
Hit the pub
- The Australia Day long weekend is a great excuse to catch up and enjoy a few drinks with mates, or treat the family to a meal out.
- Head to one of these local favourite pubs around Inner Sydney!
Have a splash
- Hit the beach or cool off over the Australia Day long weekend with a dip at your local pool around Inner Sydney.
- Splash into one of the The City of Sydney’s five aquatic centres including:
Need a small fast cash loan for your long weekend festivities?
- However you plan to celebrate this Australia Day, if you need a quick and easy cash loan to see you through, City Finance can help!
- Pop in and visit our friendly staff at our Sydney CBD branch for a chat.
- You can also phone us on 9212 2267, or apply online today!