Top tips for Australia Day festivities around Wollongong
The date of Australia Day has been the subject of some controversy lately. Whatever your view, the Australia Day long weekend provides time to catch up with friends and family, celebrating all things Aussie.
Here’s some cheap and easy ways to celebrate Australia Day long weekend around Wollongong.
Congratulate Wollongong’s Australia Day award winners
- Every year, Australia Day marks the opportunity to celebrate people in Wollongong who contribute to making our area so great.
- Categories include Citizen of the Year, Senior and Young Citizens of the Year along with Arts, Sports and Community awards.
- These awards will be presented to winners at the Australia Day Awards presentation dinneron Tuesday 23rd January 2018.
Hit the harbourfront for great Australia Day action
- Don’t miss Oz Day in the Gong! There’s fun and festivities for everyone, including market stalls, food and entertainment.
- Get active and join in the Illawarra Australia Day Aquathon! Swim, run or walk and soak up the Aussie vibes!
- Hit the Youth Chill Out Zone at Wollongong Harbour from 3:30pm till 8pm for a live DJ, a skate and scooter ramp and pro BMX demonstrations and inflatable giant dartball.
- Even your four legged friend can get in on the action! Enter them in the inaugural Australia Day Ozzy Dog Show.
Throw a few prawns on the barbie
Pack a picnic
- For a summer feast without having to fire up the barbie, pack a picnic and head to one of the fabulous picnic spots around Wollongong and the Illawarra.
- Top local picnic spots include
Whip up some Aussie classics
- Wherever you’re dining, Australia Day is the perfect time to tempt your tastebuds with some classic Aussie culinary favourites.
- If you’re handy in the kitchen, try making a classic Aussie meat pie. Or take a shortcut and swing by Corrimal Bakehouse to pick up one they’ve got ready and waiting for you!
- How about a pavlova for dessert? You could make your own pavlova, or pick up one from Coles Wollongong, Figtree, Fairy Meadow or Corrimal and top it with some whipped cream and your favourite summer fruits.
- Lamingtons are another Australia Day classic dessert. Try your hand at making them, or pop into Michel’s Patisserie in Albion Park, Shellharbour or Dapto to grab yourself some of these tempting cakey, chocolate and coconut treats!
Hit the pub
- The Australia Day long weekend is a great excuse to catch up and enjoy a few drinks with mates, or treat the family to a meal out.
- Head to one of these local favourite pubs around Wollongong!
Have a splash
- Hit the beach or cool off over the Australia Day long weekend with a dip at your local pool around Wollongong.
- Splash into one of Wollongong’s five supervised fresh water chlorinated pools. Entry to Berkeley, Helensburgh or Western Suburbs pools is free!
Need a small fast cash loan for your long weekend festivities?
- However you plan to celebrate this Australia Day, if you need a quick and easy cash loan to see you through, City Finance can help!
- Pop in and visit our friendly staff at our Wollongong branch for a chat.
- You can also phone us on 4208 3321, or apply online today!