These recipes are guaranteed to warm you – not your grocery bill – up!
As summer slowly fades away and temperatures drop, we start thinking about yummy comfort food. On a cold evening, there are few better things than a hearty dinner. The warmth of the kitchen and the tempting aromas of cooking food make a great end to a chilly day.
Here are some great hearty, inexpensive and easy autumn and winter evening meals.
- Don’t head out into the chilly night air to grab an expensive takeaway meal!
- Save time and money – most of these meals can be prepared in 30 minutes or less and use budget friendly ingredients.
Warming recipes that are guaranteed to please your taste buds and budget
- This super tasty and super easy cauliflower mac’n’cheese will please everyone, from the littlest through to the biggest of kids!
- Kids love sausages – and so do the big kids! Try this time and budget-busting roasted sausages and vegetables – one pot into the oven while you get on with other jobs, and dinner will be on the table in no time!
- Friday night fish and chips is quick and easy to make yourself at home – skip expensive takeaway! Get the kids to whip up this quick and easy basic batter, dip in whatever fish fillets are on special and add a budget batch of your own homemade hot chips. Yum – fish and chips never tasted so good!
Soup things up
You can’t go past a hearty soup – add some crusty bread and you have perfect, easy warming meals. Try a few of these warm and easy favourites:-
Or for those nights where you’re a bit short on time but want something a little more hearty than straight tinned soup, try this easy cheat’s roasted pumpkin soup.
For super easy winter warming meals, you can’t go past a slow cooker. There’s nothing nicer than coming home at the end of a long day and being greeted by the lovely aromas of home cooked meal that’s ready to eat!
- If you haven’t yet got a slow cooker, you can pick one up at your local discount store for as little as $10 or $20 – or even try charity stores, you can often find them here for around $5!
- This kitchen appliance is easy to use and they’re great for making the most of budget ingredients. Cheap cuts of meat like chuck steak and gravy beef are perfect for the slow cooker.
- Slow cookers not only save money, but they’ll save you a load of time in the kitchen too.
- Many recipes require you to do little more than throw all the ingredients in, then leave them to slowly cook throughout the day.
- You’ll find some great slow cooker recipes here including a hearty beef goulash, a tasty tomato and chicken korma curry and a healthy vegetable and chickpea curry. Yum!
Now we’ll bet all that’s got your tummy rumbling, so what are you waiting for – get cooking!