The best ways to get caught up in the action without blowing your budget!
The footy finals are here! The Preliminary Finals for both the AFL and NRL are on Friday 23 and Saturday 24 September, with the main event – the big Grand Final – happening for the AFL on Saturday October 1, and NRL on Sunday October 2.
Here’s some great ways you can take in Footy Finals Fever on the Gold Coast!
Head to your local pub
Catch all the action on the big sports screens over a drink with mates at your local.
- Hit Helm Bar at Surfers, who have declared the footy finals their ‘Festival of the Boot’! They are screening the finals live and loud, followed by some great live music.
- Or head tothe Wattle Hotel in Upper Coomera to soak up the atmosphere. Bring the kids along, they’ll love the fabulous kids playground.
- Or enjoy your footy at Mermaid Beach Tavern. With a great sports bar, beer gardens, tasty food and a fun kids playground, it’s a great spot to celebrate the finals. Grab a drink and a spot in front of one of their several big screens to watch the footy action!
- Wherever you are on the Gold Coast, check out what’s happening at your local pub, and enjoy the footy on the big screen!
Hit the local footy club
What better place to immerse yourself in footy finals fever than at your nearest football club.
- Clubs like the Burleigh Bears Leagues and Tugun Leagues Club are the local home of rugby league and promise be the ultimate place to be as the finals kick off.
- Or don’t miss all the footy finals action at the Southport Sharks, the local home of AFL.
- They’re screening the AFL Grand Final live in 4 different zones, including on the 5.25m big screen, plus there’s free footy food at half time, and great drink specials.
- Southport Sharks will also screen the NRL Grand Final on the huge screen, with free footy food, drink specials and giveaways.
BBQ with your mates
Enjoying the footy finals at home with your mates is the best. The company is great, drinks are cheap, the food plentiful, and you don’t have to worry about how to get home!
- If you’re thinking of hosting a footy finals party, check out this handy guide to hosting a grand final bbq for some great tips that will ensure success. Although it won’t guarantee your team a win, you’re sure to have a fun time!
- The basic rules are – have loads of food, ice, good company and a great TV to watch the action!
- Ask everyone to BYO drinks and some meat for the bbq. This ensures there’s loads for everyone, and keeps the cost down for you as the host.
- Check out this handy Grand Finals Kit for a great planning checklist, ideas and signage.
- Whether you’re hosting or attending a footy finals bbq, get yourself prepared with this tongue-in-cheek guide to the footy bbq rules you need to bear in mind!
Up the ante with a sweep
Get right into the swing of footy finals fever by holding a sweep with your mates.
- Options include first goal scorer, first try scorer or first points scored.
- Use this sweep from a prior season as inspiration to create your own template.
- Decide how much you’re going to throw in for each entry, and how you’ll divide the prize pool.
- Then sit back as the action kicks off, and wait to see who wins!
Get the kids involved
Let the kids get caught up in all the footy finals action too.
So whether you teams wins or loses, you can be sure of having a great time while you soak up the fun of Footy Finals Fever!