The best ways to get caught up in the action without blowing your budget
The footy finals are here! The Preliminary Finals for both the AFL and NRL are on Friday 23 and Saturday 24 September, with the main event – the big Grand Final – happening for the AFL on Saturday October 1, and NRL on Sunday October 2.
Here’s some great ways you can take in Footy Finals Fever in Midland!
Head to your local pub or club
Catch all the action on the big sports screens over a drink with mates at your local.
- Hit the 7th Avenue Bar and Restaurant to take in all the footy finals action. They’re screening the AFL Grand Final live, and it’s a good spot to enjoy old fashioned service with great value prices.
- The Woodbridge Hotel is also a great spot to enjoy your footy. The Woody has a traditional pub feel and is a great spot to grab a feed while you enjoy the game over a few drinks with your mates.
- Or enjoy your footy at the Beeches Tavern. Enjoy a great value meal while you take in the game in the Sports Bar.
- To enjoy the game amidst a traditional pub vibe, head to the Pig and Whistle in Swanview. Catch all the action on their numerous big screen TVs, including one in the beer garden. While you’re there, grab a meal at the Bistro.
- The Stirling Arms Hotel in Guildford is another top spot to enjoy the game and some beers with your mates. Enjoy $8 pints and a great $15 Sunday roast – only $7 for the kids!
- Wherever you are in the Midland area, check out what’s happening at your local pub, and enjoy the footy on the big screen!
BBQ with your mates
Enjoying the footy finals at home with your mates is the best. The company is great, drinks are cheap, the food plentiful, and you don’t have to worry about how to get home!
- If you’re thinking of hosting a footy finals party, check out this handy guide to hosting a grand final bbq for some great tips that will ensure success. Although it won’t guarantee your team a win, you’re sure to have a fun time!
- The basic rules are – have loads of food, ice, good company and a great TV to watch the action!
- Ask everyone to BYO drinks and some meat for the bbq. This ensures there’s loads for everyone, and keeps the cost down for you as the host.
- Check out this handy Grand Finals Kit for a great planning checklist, ideas and signage.
- Whether you’re hosting or attending a footy finals bbq, get yourself prepared with this tongue-in-cheek guide to the footy bbq rules you need to bear in mind!
Up the ante with a sweep
Get right into the swing of footy finals fever by holding a sweep with your mates.
- Options include first goal scorer, first try scorer or first points scored.
- Use this sweep from a prior season as inspiration to create your own template.
- Decide how much you’re going to throw in for each entry, and how you’ll divide the prize pool.
- Then sit back as the action kicks off, and wait to see who wins!
Get the kids involved
Let the kids get caught up in all the footy finals action too.
So whether you teams wins or loses, you can be sure of having a great time while you soak up the fun of Footy Finals Fever!