Budget tips for finding and caring for your pet
One of the joys of having a pet is the companionship and fun they can bring. But pet ownership also brings with it some responsibilities and expenses. So here are some great tips on how to find and care for your furry friend in Nerang.
Finding your furry friend in Nerang
You don’t have to go to an expensive breeder or pet shop to meet the newest member of your family.
- The Animal Welfare League of Queensland operate five rehoming centres in South East Queensland, including one in Coombabah.
- There’s also the RSPCA Gold Coast Adoption Centre at Miami, which has an animal rehoming centre as well as a shop selling great pet supplies at very competitive prices.
- Animal rescue shelters will have dogs, cats, bunnies, mice, birds, reptiles and other animals waiting to be welcomed into new loving homes.
- All rescue pets are examined by a vet, vaccinated, microchipped and desexed. The adoption fee is a fraction of expensive pet store or breeder prices.
- Other budget options for finding your new pet in the Nerang area include Gumtree, the TradingPost, and PetDirectory.
Registering your pet
If your pet is a dog, you’ll need to register them with Gold Coast City Council.
- The law requires that all dogs over 12 weeks of age are registered for life. There’s a $235 fine if you don’t!
- Registration fees range depending on whether your animal is de-sexed. Check here for details.
- Eligible pensioners receive significant discounts, so be sure to check when contacting the council.
- While cats don’t need to be registered, all dogs over 12 weeks of age must be microchipped.
Getting out and about with your pet
- Parks for your furry friend in Nerang where they can happily play off the leash include
- Baker Creek Parklands and Highland Reserve Park in Upper Coomera
- Weka Park in Oxenford
- Flooded Gum Park in Pacific Pines
- Gold Coast City Council’s off-leash dog areas brochure outlines dog parks and areas where your dog is allowed off their lead. There are some which have a small dog area and dog agility equipment.
- Get the free GC Dog Parks app. It has a ‘near me’ feature to help you find the best dog parks nearby.
- You can also walk your dog on most Gold Coast beaches, but be sure to keep your dog on a leash. Ensure to clean up after them and remember that dogs aren’t permitted within 200 metres of flagged areas.
- There are three off-leash dog exercise areas on the Gold Coast. They cover over three kilometres beach at The Spit, Tallebudgera Beach and Palm Beach.
- Be aware that the law says your animals must wear a collar and tag at all times when outside your property.
Grabbing a coffee or bite to eat with your pet
After you’ve enjoyed a nice long walk together and worked up an appetite, it’s nice to stop somewhere for a cuppa at a nice place that welcomes your furry friend in Nerang.
Buying food and accessories for your pet
When your pet is sick
When your pet needs pampering
Many breeds need regular grooming to keep their coat and nails in good health and condition.
So no matter what you need for your pet, there’s plenty of friendly places and businesses in the Nerang area that have it covered!