Budget tips for finding and caring for your pet
One of the joys of having a pet is the companionship and fun they can bring. But pet ownership also brings with it some responsibilities and expenses.
Here’s some ways to save cash while finding and caring for your pet
Finding your pet
You don’t have to go to an expensive breeder or pet shop to meet the newest member of your family.
- The Animal Welfare League operates the Lort Smith pet adoption centre in North Melbourne.
- There’s also the RSPCA Victoria Adoption Centres in Pearcedale and Mentone.
- Animal rescue shelters like these have dogs, cats, bunnies, mice, birds, reptiles and other animals just waiting to be welcomed into new loving homes.
- Your rescue pet will have been examined by a vet, vaccinated, microchipped and desexed, and the adoption fee is a fraction of expensive pet store or breeder prices.
- Other budget options for finding your new pet in the Narre Warren area include Gumtree, the TradingPost, and PetDirectory.
Registering your pet
If your dog or cat is more than 3 months old, you’ll need to register them with the City of Casey.
- Registration fees range depending on whether your animal is de-sexed.
- Eligible pensioners receive significant discounts, so be sure to check when contacting the council.
- Your pet must also be microchipped.
Getting out and about with your pet
- Parks around Narre Warren where your dog can happily play off the leash include
- Dogs can be walked off the leash in most parks in the City of Casey, except some reserves in Berwick, Cranbourne, Hallam and Hampton Park as listed on the council’s website.
- Check out this handy guide to off-leash dog parks and beaches around Narre Warren.
Grabbing a coffee or bite to eat with your pet
After you’ve enjoyed a nice long walk together and worked up an appetite, it’s nice to stop somewhere for a cuppa where you know your furry friend is also welcome.
Buying food and accessories for your pet
When your pet is sick
When your pet needs pampering
Many breeds need regular grooming to keep their coat and nails in good health and condition.
So no matter what you need for your pet, there’s plenty of friendly places and businesses in the Narre Warren area that have it covered!