Our guide to the best ways to burn calories without burning a hole in your wallet
As the weather cools down, it’s the perfect time of year to get yourself moving. Get out and about to warm up, enjoy some fresh air and sunlight and reap the benefits of exercise and fitness.
Here’s our top tips for ensuring you fit into those winter jeans without busting your budget!
Start walking….or even running
Getting fit really can be as simple as lacing up your trainers and heading out for a stroll, power walk or a run – whatever pace takes your fancy!
- Not only does walking (or running!) get your heart rate up and blood pumping, but it’s free, a great way to meet up with friends and enjoy a chat while you exercise.
- You can also explore parts of Midland that you haven’t yet seen. Plus, you’ll be saving on fuel and cash by leaving the car or bus pass at home!
- If you enjoy group fitness, check out The Heart Foundation Community Walking Network. As Australia’s largest free community-based walking network, this is a brilliant way to take your first steps to increase your physical activity.
- Check out their huge range of walking groups in the Midland area, including the Bassendean Walkers and the Walkers and Talkers of High Wycombe.
- There’s also this great guide to walking trails and picnic spots throughout the City of Swan, which outlines a range of beautiful bushland and riverside walks for all fitness levels and abilities.
- Runners will love jumping onto the Park Run bandwagon. Every Saturday morning you can head to your nearest site to join a free 5km run. There’s a Park Run each week at Woodridge Riverside Park, or check out their website for other locations and more info.
Make the park your very own outdoor gym – fun and free!
Midland has lots of great parks where you can have fun with the family while working on your fitness. Take a walk or jog to your nearest park as a warm up, and craft yourself a workout.
- Here’s a great guide to using equipment at your local kids playground as the base for a great workout. And there’s loads of other playground workout ideas available online, like this one.
- With free options like this, why would you pay for an expensive gym membership?
Live life and get active – for free!
The fabulous and free Live Life and Get Active program is getting thousands of Aussies up, out and active every week!
- Come and join in today – Live Life Get Active is a great way to exercise and make new friends while enjoying our beautiful parks, inhaling fresh air, and having a laugh.
- Live Life Get Active run 6:30am at the Aveley Amphitheatre on Egerton Drive, or at The Green off Fairmont Boulevarde in Brabham. Search here for your nearest location!
- Classes include X Training, Boxing and Yoga – and it’s all free!
Create your own outdoor workout
Prefer to head to your own local park or beach and craft your own workout session, without needing fancy equipment?
- You’ll find some great outdoor workout routines here and here.
On your bike!
Midland has some spectacular cycling routes and trails.
- The City of Swan has some great info on cycling in the area, including some useful maps and guides.
- And the Cycling in the Swan Valley – Guildford brochure has some great info on cycling in the Swan Valley, including routes and maps for families and experienced riders alike.
- Don’t miss the 12km Swan Valley Heritage Cycle Trail, which is a fabulous way to enjoy cycling while experiencing the area’s rich history, characters and natural elements.
- And for those keen to take their riding seriously, the Midland Cycle Club cater for seniors and juniors at all levels of development, from novice through to elite athlete status. The have comprehensive road and track programs for summer and winter racing.
Jump online and check out the free Live Lighter program.
Get started today and look forward to living lighter – for free!
If team sports are more you thing to get your moving and motivated, there’s a huge variety of sports and training options and facilities all over the Midland area.
And for those rainy days….
You don’t have to miss your workout on those days when the sun isn’t shining or you can’t leave the house.
- Borrow a fitness dvd from the library. You can burn 500 kilojoules doing a 20-minute resistance-training circuit in your lounge room – not to mention the feel-good endorphins you’ll generate!
- Jump online and jump into one of the gazillions of free workout videos that are available for free, covering everything from gentle exercises to get you started, to full 12-month fitness programs.
- Try popular sites like YouTube and Vimeo – just search for the type of workout you’re after, and off you go!
So as you can see – there really are no more excuses! There are loads of fun and free ways you can get moving and along the road to fitness, without busting your budget. Get started today!