Keep the kids entertained without busting your budget
School holidays are here again! Keeping the kids entertained can be exhausting – and expensive. And if you’re unemployed or trying to get by on a low income, keeping the kids entertained on your tight budget can be a real challenge.
Beat boredom without needing to blow a load of cash on expensive outings and entertainment – here’s some fun, free or cheap ideas!
Free and creative library fun
Check out the awesome free kid’s activities hosted by Wollongong City Libraries.
- There’s kids yoga, Lego imagination sessions and for the older kids, a Marvel themed trivia and games night.
- There’s also plenty of craft activity sessions, including fairy and dragon lantern making, Roald Dahl crazy character cubes, bug pom poms, paper planes and comic poster making.
- Or for the more adventurous, there’s a fun Fantastic Mr Fox Foraging Hunt!
- Check out the full program here – all sessions are free, but bookings are essential.
Spring into some fun at Wollongong’s Botanic Garden
Your little pirates will enjoy the school holiday fun at Wollongong Botanic Garden.
- Their Garden Pirate school holiday program will take the kids on a pirate adventure across the high seas, finding lost treasure and making valuable jewels.
- These fun and educational activities have an environmental focus, and Captain Compost will be paying a special visit.
- Activities run from 10am to 1pm from Monday 26th to Friday 30th September, and cost $10.50 per child, $20.50 for family of 2 or more children.
- Wollongong Botanic Garden also boasts lots of beautiful plants and wildlife, a playground and lots of space for picnics and fun. Visit this hidden gem with family and friends for a fun, free and beautiful day out.
Hit the beach!
Nothing wears the kids out better than a fun day at the beach!
- Enjoy our stunning stretch of coastline and spring into the warmer weather at some of our beautiful beaches.
- Grab the sunscreen and towels and hit the sand and surf at your favourite spot.
- Pack some cold drinks and snacks in the Esky, and the kids will be both happy and well fed, and your day out needn’t cost you a cent.
Hit the park
It doesn’t get much simpler – or cheaper! – than heading to your local park for hours of fun!
- Parks are a free, fun way to get the kids off your back and work off all of that excess energy!
- Throw some snacks and scooters into the car and get exploring – why not use the Illawarra park finder to venture to a new playground?
- You could also check out the council’s guide to all the other great parks in Wollongong.
- Don’t forget to pack yourself a picnic rug and a book – if you’re lucky, you might even get a few moments peace to relax and enjoy the sunshine!
On your bike!
Once the kids have had enough of the park and are ready for a change of scene, hit the bike path!
Get them smiling and silly!
BigFatSmile’s jam packed school holiday Fun Club program operates across several sites around the Wollongong area, and hosts an irresistible range of activities to keep the kids busy these school holidays.
- With fun excursions including fishing, trampolining and even a zombie disco party, there’s something for everyone!
- For kids aged 5 – 12 years old, some centres open as early as 6:30am and through till 6pm, so working parents needs are covered too.
- Bookings essential – check out BigSmileClub for your local centre and program details.