Pack a picnic and have a cheap and easy family day out
For a fun filled and free day out with the family, nothing beats a picnic. So when the sun is shining, shake out the picnic rug, fill up the Esky and head to one of these five fabulous spots for a budget-friendly day out that will keep everyone happy, well-fed and entertained!
- The ultimate family day out
For a day of picnicking and adventure that will please all the family, you can’t go past Whiteman Park.
- One for the cricket enthusiasts
While it might be best known for its premium cricket facilities, Lilac Hill Park is an idyllic spot for a riverside picnic.
- With picnic tables and bbqs available, this picnic spot on the banks of the Swan River is a beautiful spot to relax.
- There’s also a children’s playground and toilet facilities.
- You could also make the most of the riverside location and drop in a line and enjoy a spot of fishing.
- A quiet spot to get away from it all
Kings Meadow Reserve is a serene riverside spot where you can have a nice quiet picnic.
- There’s picnic tables, bbqs, lots of shade as well as open grassy areas where you can throw down a picnic rug.
- There’s a playground for the kids, and dogs are allowed as long as they’re on the lead.
- Positioned on the water, Kings Meadow has some lovely jetties for fishing, and also makes a great canoeing spot.
- Something for everyone
Woodridge Riverside Park is a great spot that offers something for everyone.
- Featuring some great picnic areas with tables and shade, there’s also drinking fountains and toilet facilities.
- There’s a fabulous playground will be a huge hit with the kids.
- Featuring an eco adventure play zone with sand, nature and water play, there’s a ship and raft, spinners, a rocket, flying fox and much more. You won’t see the kids for hours!
- And if you fancy taking a wander after lunch, hit the John George Walk Trail, which links Woodbridge Riverside Park with Reg Bond Reserve in Viveash.
Get back to nature
Take a day trip and enjoy the wilderness of Walyunga National Park.
- Just 20km north of Midland, this spectacular National Park features the rapids and pools of the Swan River, so you can enjoy a swim, canoe or kayak.
- For the best picnic spots, head to Walyunga Pool or Boongarup Pool, where there’s plenty of picnic tables, as well as bbqs and toilet facilities.
- Bushwalkers can enjoy a range of trails that cover all ages and abilities, including the 1.6km loop Walyunga Heritage Trail.
- Use this handy park guide and review to help plan your day.
Wherever you choose, make the most of the warm weather and pack a picnic to enjoy a fun, free day out with the family!