It’s that time of year again – when a race stops the nation! Celebrating the Melbourne Cup doesn’t mean you have to bust your budget splurging on an expensive outfit and attending a fancy function.
Here’s our top tips for budget ways to celebrate race day
Dress to impress – without the price tag!
- You can look a million bucks on race day without having to spend much cash.
- Just because your outfit is cheap doesn’t mean you have to look cheap!
- It’s as simple as wearing a plain but classy dress, separates or suit that you already have in your wardrobe, and getting stylish with some eye-catching accessories.
- Ladies can be rocking the race day look with a fascinator, head band or other headwear. You can nab yourself a cheap headpiece on eBay.
- Or inject your creative flair and make your own fascinator – stores like Spotlight have some great low-priced options.
- Gents can add flair to their attire with a carefully chosen hat and a pop of colour with a funky tie or pocket handkerchief.
Styling your setting
- Forget spending big bucks on lunch in a fancy venue. Save a stack of cash by bringing the party to you!
- Jump onto Pinterest for stylish decorating inspiration that will bring that racetrack feel to your lounge room. It’s amazing how much pizazz a little artificial grass can bring!
- Hit discount shops like Kmart, Spotlight and Big W for cheap party supplies.
Food, fabulous food
- Playing host doesn’t have to mean splashing all your cash buying all the food and drink.
- Everyone knows race day food is all about canapes – delicious bite-sized morsels that you can manage with one hand while juggling your drink in the other!
- With this in mind, ask each of your guests to bring a plate.
- In no time at all you’ll have a lovely buffet of everyone’s homemade culinary creations. It’s a great way to split the catering cost and workload.
- Making your race day party a BYO affair also means you don’t have to foot the drinks bill.
- Simply supply a few tubs and bags of ice, and the drinks will be flowing!
Get swept away
- Gambling your precious cash is never a good idea.
- Steer clear of the bookies and betting agencies on Melbourne Cup Day and instead throw a few dollars into a fun sweep with friends.
- Grab a free printable sweep online, and take note of their tips for how to best divide the prize pool on race day.
- Last but not least, don’t forget to give some thought to screening the big race once 3pm hits!
- Position your TV front and centre of the action to make sure all of your guests can see and hear the race that stops the nation.
And they’re racing….
Finally – pour yourself a glass of your favourite champers, kick back and relax! Enjoy this Melbourne Cup day with your family and friends.