Keep the kids entertained these holidays without busting your budget
School holidays are here again! You can be sure the kids will still be pestering you for fun things to do – and when you’re unemployed or trying to get by on a low income, keeping the kids entertained on your tight budget can be a real challenge.
Beat boredom without needing to blow a load of cash on expensive outings and entertainment – here’s some fun, free or cheap ideas!
There’s a Rumble in the Jungle!
Your mini Tarzan or Jane will love the range of free jungle themed activities hosted by City Libraries these holidays.
- Crafty kids can enjoy making a fun jungle diorama, decorating a calico bag with the colours of the rainforest, crafting their own jungle jewellery, tribal mask or butterfly wall art.
- There’s also musical fun including making jungle drums and rhythmic rainsticks. Check out the program and click here to book.
Hop into some Easter fun
Head to the Broadwater Parklands for all day – and night! – fun to wear the kids out!
- By day, enjoy the last of the warm sunshine before winter rolls around. Pack a picnic and a towel, and let the kids have a ball on the bouncy pillow, in the water playground and on the pedal monorail.
- Or check out Aquasplash – a giant inflatable obstacle course featuring trampolines, slides, swings, bouncing pillows, log roll spinners and giant icebergs.
- And once darkness falls, the Broadwater Easter fair is on from 6pm – 10pm every night through to Sunday 10th April, and features carnival rides, fairy floss, show bags and games galore.
Get out and get active!
With a range of short and full day free and low costs activities, the Active and Healthy Easter school holiday program has something for everyone!
- Activities include running workshops, rock climbing, dance and Zumba, yoga and tae kwon-do, art and craft, acrobatics, skateboarding, kayaking, wildlife rangers, cricket, tennis, horse riding and much, much more!
- The big kids are covered too! 12 – 17 year olds can enjoy a huge range of free activities right across the holidays at Youth Centres in Coomera, Runaway Bay, Upper Coomera, and Thrower House at Palm Beach. Check out the program for dates and details.
Free movies under the stars
- Enjoy the last of those warm evenings this Friday 1st April – pack a picnic and head to the park with the family to enjoy a movie under the stars!
- There’s How to Train Your Dragon 2 at Palm Beach Parklands, or Minions at Country Paradise Parklands in Nerang.
- The free fun kicks off with activities from 5pm, and the movie starts at 7pm.
Hit the park!
It doesn’t get much simpler – or cheaper! – than heading to your local park for hours of fun!
- Throw some snacks and scooters into the car and get exploring – why not use the Gold Coast park finder to venture to a new playground? Parks are a free, fun way to get the kids off your back and work off all of that excess energy!
- Don’t forget to pack yourself a picnic rug and a book – if you’re lucky, you might even get a few moments peace to relax and enjoy the sunshine!