Cheap ways to soak up some fun in the sun
The sun is shining and the mercury’s rising! Celebrate summer in Logan by getting out and about in the sun.
Here’s some top cheap, easy and safe ways to soak up the sunshine, without emptying your wallet.
Pop into the pool
Want peace of mind while you and the family take a dip?
- Logan City Council operates 7 aquatic centres which have professional life guard supervision.
- Check the website for each for their location, facilities, opening hours and entry fee details:
Got a pool at home?
Keep your family and friends safe – remember to keep watch this summer in Logan!
- Tragically, 66 drownings occurred in Queensland between 2015 and 2016.
- Keep watch! Drownings can occur because no-one is properly supervising the use of the pool.
- Make sure you, your family and your pool are ready for a safe and sunny summer.
- Check out this handy information on home pool safety from the Royal Life Saving Society.
Hit the park – the water park, that is!
The Darlington Parklands in Yarrabilba has a fabulous waterpark that will delight the kids.
- There’s a great water play area with shallow pools and fountains for the kids (and big kids!) to splash about and cool down in.
- This fabulous playground also features a flying fox, rope bridges, tunnels, basketball half court, and much more.
- This is a great spot for a picnic, with shelters, tables, bbqs and some great boardwalks amongst the wetlands.
If you can stretch your budget a little, treat yourselves to some fun and adventure at Bayside Aqua Park in Carbrook.
- Prices start at $20 per session for kids aged 6 and up, and siblings are then half price – or you can also grab a family pass for $50.
- And while you’re there, watch some of the cable ski action at Cable Ski Logan!
- With prices for cable skiing starting from $35 you’d need to stretch your budget a little to take part, but it’s free to watch the action.
Head to the wetlands
Get back to nature and enjoy a wonderful summer’s day out in Logan’s wetlands.
- Pack a picnic, and take your bikes along for a great day at Berrinba Wetlands or Eagleby Wetlands.
- You can get away from it all and enjoy the serenity while wandering the walking and bike tracks.
- There’s plenty of parking, picnic and toilet facilities, and kids playgrounds.
Hit the beach
If you don’t mind a bit of a drive, there’s no better way to celebrate the gorgeous summer sunshine than with a trip to the beach.
- You can jump in the car and be at one of the Gold Coast’s many beautiful beaches in 40 minutes to an hour. Pack a picnic and have a great day out!
- During the swim season, the Gold Coast’s lifeguards – the largest professional lifeguard service in Australia – patrol 52 kilometres of spectacular beaches, stretching from South Stradbroke Island in the north to Rainbow Beach in the south.
- Check this handy schedule to check the times your local beach has lifeguards on patrol.
At the beach, conditions can change very quickly. What may seem like calm and safe conditions can quickly turn.
- Remember these rules to stay safe at the beach this summer:
- Don’t swim alone
- If there are no flags up, don’t go in the water
- Only swim at patrolled beaches
- Swim between the red and yellow flags
- Follow the advice of lifeguards and lifesavers
- If you get into trouble, stay calm and raise your arm
- Check out the Gold Coast’s handy guide to beach safety for some top tips to stay safe this summer.
Fill up the Esky
The summer sun means you (and the kids!) will quickly work up a thirst and be looking for a snack.
- Don’t let your day out cost the earth and have to hit the local shops for expensive refreshments.
- Keep an Esky on hand at home, and when packing for your day out throw in some cold drinks, fruit and snacks that you’ve pre-purchased at the supermarket.
- This will save you a small fortune and prevent a blow to your budget taking the shine off your day.
Stay sun safe this summer in Logan
The last thing you want is for your fun in the sun to be ruined by a dose of nasty sunburn.
- Remember to Slip, Slop, Slap!
- Slip on a shirt, slap on some 50+ sunscreen, and slap on a hat.
So go on, what are you waiting for? Get out there and enjoy a beautiful summer in Logan!