Grab a blanket and the esky for budget busting outdoor dining
Who says eating out has to be expensive? Forget splashing a load of cash at a fancy restaurant. There’s no better way to enjoy a bite to eat than sitting out in the sunshine with family, friends or your special someone. For a cheap and easy meal out, nothing beats these picnic spots in Wollongong.
Here’s 5 top picnic spots in Wollongong and Kiama
- Seaside sunshine
Shake off the last of that winter chill and celebrate spring with a picnic at the beach.
- Enjoy a relaxing picnic on the grassy foreshore of City Beach Wollongong.
- Watch the boats come into the harbour, or you can walk or cycle along the path to the playground at WA Lang Park where there’s also a large grassy reserve to run around and work off your lunch!
- You could also venture around to take in the lighthouse and views at Flagstaff Hill.
- Try this handy guide to Wollongong’s Foreshore Parks for more great waterside picnic spots on the Wollongong waterfront.
- From the sea to the sky
Another magnificent seaside spot is Stanwell Park Beach Reserve.
- Just beyond the golden sands of Stanwell Park Beach, in this large reserve you can loll around on the grass and enjoy a picnic after your swim or surf, without having to worry about sand in your sandwiches!
- If the wind is blowing, you’ll also be able to enjoy the view of the hang-gliders above, as they spiral down from Bald Hill Lookout
- While you’re there, don’t miss a trip across – and stop on – the infamous Sea Cliff Bridge. This iconic 665 metre stretch is a Grand Pacific Drive highlight that will delight everyone, from the littlest to biggest of kids.
- Dining with a million dollar view
If you like to enjoy a breathtaking view with your meal, then head to Mt Pleasant Lookout in Kiama.
- On the Kiama bends heading south, this gorgeous spot offers stunning views across Gerringong, Gerroa and the green surrounds.
- There’s plenty of rolling green lawns, for the kids to run around on, along with a picnic table.
- Pack a bottle of bubbles to make your picnic truly special. You might also like to follow your picnic with a tour of some of the area’s wineries!
- Get back to nature
Picnic in the relaxing, tranquil surrounds of Wollongong Botanic Garden.
- With a large variety of gardens for all to explore and a playground to enjoy, Wollongong Botanic Garden has something for every member of the family.
- Open from 7am to 5pm daily, entry is free, there’s plenty of parking, and even a free shuttle bus from town.
- The gardens also offer a range of activities and educational programs you might like to enjoy on your visit – check out the program.
- Something for everyone
Whether you’re a history enthusiast, nature lover, or a kid with energy to burn, head to Cataract Dam.
- This is one of the oldest and most picturesque picnic spots in Wollongong, perhaps even the whole of New South Wales. With beautiful scenery and viewing areas, Cataract Dam has loads of parking and is completely free.
- The picnic areas offer electric bbqs, drinking water, plenty of picnic tables, and toilets. There’s also a fabulous playground for the kids
- Nature enthusiasts can indulge their wilder side with some great bush walks and bird watching.
- Plan your day with this handy map of the Cataract Dam Recreation Area.
So shake off the last of the winter weather! When the sun’s shining, pack a picnic to enjoy a fun, free day out with friends and family.