20 July 2017
Where to kick back and enjoy some tunes
Whether you’re young or old, into heavy metal, jazz or house beats – everyone loves music. And there’s nothing better than enjoying your tunes live and soaking up that feel-good vibe. Being on a tight budget or a low income can put expensive concert tickets out of reach. Fortunately, there’s plenty of other ways to enjoy live music around Newcastle, Mayfield and Wallsend area.
Here’s where you can enjoy live music around Newcastle
Get your live music fix for nix
- To find out when and where live music gigs are happening around Newcastle, check out Newcastle Live and follow their Facebook page.
- There’s also this great Newcastle Gig Guide.
The club and pub scene
- Head to The Wicko in Islington, known as the home of blues music around town. With a great line-up of local and big name gigs, you can enjoy free live music. This is held in the front bar or in the beer garden on Saturday and Sunday Afternoons.
- The Northern Star Hotel in Hamilton presents the best local and touring artists for free in their front bar 4 nights a week.
- The Lambton Park Hotel also has a great lineup of free gigs.
- Or head to Shenanigans at The Imperial Hotel in Maitland to check out the huge range of free live music on offer.
- The Cardiff RSL showcase some of Newcastle’s hottest duo’s, trio’s and bands, and have a huge dance floor where you can boogie the night away! Their free live music is from 8:15pm Friday and 8:30pm Saturdays.
- If it’s jazz that makes your heart sing, then the Newcastle Jazz Club is for you!
- As well as hosting regular budget-priced jazz gigs, the big Newcastle Jazz Festival is coming up in August, with an early bird special on now.
- You might also like to check out the Tuesday Night Jazz at Newcastle’s Grand Hotel Underground. Entry is just $15, or $10 concession.
- Bring a few laughs to your live music experience by creating it yourself!
- Karaoke is always a fun night out with mates. Whether you’re brave enough to take to the stage or not, the live music laughs are guaranteed.
- Head to the Mattara Hotel in Newcastle on Saturday nights from 7:30pm to grab the mic and become a rock star!
- There’s also weekly Friday night karaoke at The Colliery Hotel in Wallsend, or check out Karaoke Seeker for other karaoke nights near you.
The big gigs
- Sure, you might need to stretch your budget a little (or perhaps a lot!), but sometimes a big name comes along and you’ve just gotta find a way to be there.
- Around the Newcastle area, you might catch some big names performing at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre, or at some of the big vineyards in the Hunter Valley.
- Try your luck on some discounted last minute tickets. Head to Lasttix to check out what cheap tickets are on offer around Newcastle.
- But be warned about buying dodgy tickets online. If the ticket you purchase from an unauthorised seller isn’t genuine, you’re likely to be refused admission to the gig. You’re essentially throwing your cold hard cash down the drain!
There are plenty of free and cheap options to get into the groove. Hit the town and enjoy some live music around Newcastle today!