20 July 2017
Where to kick back and enjoy some tunes
Whether you’re young or old, into heavy metal, jazz or house beats – everyone loves music. And there’s nothing better than enjoying your tunes live and soaking up that feel-good vibe. Being on a tight budget or a low income can put expensive concert tickets out of reach. Fortunately, there’s plenty of other ways to enjoy live music around Wollongong, Shellharbour and Kiama area.
Here’s where you can enjoy live music around Wollongong
Get your live music fix for nix
- To find out when and where live music gigs are happening around Wollongong and the Illawarra area, check out this Wollongong Gig Guide.
- There’s also this great guide to upcoming concerts and live music events around the Illawarra.
The club and pub scene
- Head to Rad Bar at the end of Crown Street Mall. This funky little space hosts some great acts at bargain prices, with tickets at around $8 or $10, it’s budget-friendly live music.
- Whisky lovers, head to the Howlin Wolf Bar in Wollongong for some guaranteed loud music and good vibes.
- The Illawarra Brewery host some great free live music, check out their Facebook page for upcoming gig details.
- Ryan’s Hotel in Thirroul has a great line-up of free live music acts, and host an open mic night every Thursday.
- Red Square on Keira Street in Wollongong also host a number of live music acts and do an open mic night on Wednesdays.
- The Kiama Leagues Club has a huge range of free live music to choose from, with performances every Friday and Saturday night from 8pm, and Sunday afternoons at 4pm.
- And head to the Shellharbour Club for free live music from 6pm on Friday and Saturday nights.
- If it’s jazz that makes your heart sing, then head to the Corrimal Hotel.
- They’re home to the Illawarra Jazz Club, and hosts free live jazz gigs every Saturday from 3:30 to 6:30pm.
- Bring a few laughs to your live music experience by creating it yourself!
- Karaoke is always a fun night out with mates. Whether you’re brave enough to take to the stage or prefer the role of adoring (or horrified!) fan, the live music laughs are guaranteed.
- Head to the Harp Hotel in Wollongong to grab the mic and become a rock star! They have free karaoke from Thursday through to Sunday nights.
- Or check out this guide to some of the best karaoke bars around the Wollongong area.
The big gigs
- Sure, you might need to stretch your budget a little (or perhaps a lot!), but sometimes a big name comes along and you’ve just gotta find a way to be there.
- Around the Wollongong area you might catch some big names performing at Wollongong’s WIN Stadium and Entertainment Centre, or in Sydney at Newtown’s Enmore Theatre, or at ANZ Stadium or Qudos Bank Arena.
- Try your luck on some discounted last minute tickets. Head to Lasttix to check out what cheap tickets are on offer around Wollongong.
- But be warned about buying dodgy tickets online. If the ticket you purchase from an unauthorised seller isn’t genuine, you’re likely to be refused admission to the gig. You’re essentially throwing your cold hard cash down the drain!
With plenty of free and cheap options to get into the groove, hit the town and enjoy some live music around Wollongong, Kiama and Shellharbour today!