7 February 2017
Cash-free fun to wear the kids out!
When you need to entertain the kids and are on a low income and tight budget – hit the park! It doesn’t get much simpler – or cheaper – than heading to one of these fab local parks around Wollongong and the Illawarra for hours of fun!
Here’s 10 top kids parks around Wollongong
1. A big hit with the kids
150 kids helped design Stuart Park in Wollongong, and they weren’t disappointed with the results!
- Featuring a huge 8.6 metre tower with three twisting tunnel slides, kids love racing one another to the bottom.
- There’s also two flying foxes, spinners, a bike track and swings.
2. Perfect for little ones
For toddler time entertainment, head to King George V Reserve in Port Kembla.
- With slides, climbing frames and a spider web all at just the right size for younger children, there’s also options for the big kids too.
- They’ll enjoy the basketball court, bike paths and the large grassy areas.
- This shaded playground has loads of seating and toilets too.
3. Colourful and compact fun
Tucked away on Payne Street in Mangerton you’ll find cute little Brownlee Park.
- With equipment including colourful cubby houses, climbing frames, slides and swings, kids of all ages will find something to play on here.
- There’s also a see-saw and kangaroo rocker, spider web climbing net and grassy open space to enjoy.
4. Something for everyone
There’s something for everyone at Towradgi Park.
- Right by the ocean and surrounded by open grassy areas and bike paths, both big and little kids are catered to in this award-winning playground.
- The maritime themed playground features climbing ropes, a huge group swing and a six metre long rocket slide.
5. Picture-perfect play by the sea
After a swim at the beach, the kids will love having a play at Thirroul Beach Reserve.
- With soft fall flooring, there’s a scooter track and flying fox plus dish swing and climbing structures.
- And it’s next to the fabulous salt water pool Olympic pool – with free entry!
6. Get back to nature
For a relaxing, tranquil spot that will still entertain the kids – head to Wollongong Botanic Garden.
- Here the fenced and shaded playground has a botanical theme and features a giant watering can cubby house.
- The kids will love climbing the large spider web frame and enjoy the spinners, slide, sandpit and the maze.
- Open from 7am to 5pm daily, entry is free, there’s plenty of parking, and even a free shuttle bus from town.
7. Head to the Basin
Kids will enjoy the fun in the popular Belmore Basin playground.
- With a see-saw rocker, tandem slide and monkey bars, there’s loads of climbing structures and soft fall flooring for little ones.
- The kids will love keeping an eye out for all the pelicans who frequent this fishing spot.
8. Harbourside playtime
Kiama kids will love playing at Hindmarsh Park on the harbour front.
- With large nearby trees for shade, it features a climbing frame with a bridge, wave and tunnel slides and a fireman’s pole.
- There’s also swings, a bike path and grassy open space.
- Set right in the middle of the popular main street, it’s close to shopping and cafes.
9. For all abilities
The Pelican Park playground at Reddall Reserve on Lake Illawarra in Shellharbour is for kids of all abilities.
- This dynamic playground has lots of bridges and balancing equipment and has been designed with wheelchair access in mind.
- Great for kids of all ages.
10. Designed by kids, for kids!
The Brooks Reach playground in Dapto was designed by kids, ensuring it’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
- Planning for the park in this new estate area was done in consultation with a group of 150 kids aged from 5 to 10 years old.
- It includes secret and shady places for cubby building, and thrill seeking spinning, sliding and swinging, as well as an adventure pathway.