Top tips for Australia Day festivities around Nerang
The date of Australia Day has been the subject of some controversy lately. Whatever your view, the Australia Day long weekend provides time to catch up with friends and family, celebrating all things Aussie.
Here’s some cheap and easy ways to celebrate Australia Day long weekend around Nerang.
Free fun and fireworks
- Join in the free Australia Day entertainment at Broadwater Parklands.
- Pack a picnic and enjoy the great live music from 4pm. You can also buy yourself a feed from the food trucks.
- The kids will have a ball in the fun adventure zone, and at 8pm a colourful fireworks display will feature fly boards, jet skis and jetpacks.
Get ready to race
- Fancy a flutter? Head to the Beaudesert Races this Australia Day.
- Along with the horse racing, there’s live entertainment and marquee seating.
- Dress up in your Aussie best! Gates open at 11am and admission is just $10 for adults and $5 for the kids.
Throw a few prawns on the barbie
- What could be more Aussie than enjoying a BBQ with some mates or family?
- Invite your nearest and dearest around and throw some snags and prawns on the barbie.
- For some great inspiration check out this fab Australia Day recipe collection!
- Of course, it wouldn’t be an Aussie BBQ without a hit of backyard cricket! Grab yourself a bargain with this backyard cricket set from Target in Helensvale.
- If you take your cricket a little more seriously, head to Rebel at Bundall to check out some of their budget backyard cricket sets.
Pack a picnic
- For a summer feast without having to fire up the barbie, pack a picnic and head to one of the fabulous picnic spots around Nerang.
- Top local picnic spots include
Whip up some Aussie classics
- Wherever you’re dining, Australia Day is the perfect time to tempt your taste buds with some classic Aussie culinary favourites.
- If you’re handy in the kitchen, try making a classic Aussie meat pie. Or take a shortcut and swing by the Goldstein’s Bakery at Cararra to pick up one they’ve got ready and waiting for you!
- How about a pavlova for dessert? You could make your own pavlova, or pick up one from Coles in Nerang and top it with some whipped cream and your favourite summer fruits.
- Lamingtons are another Australia Day classic dessert. Try your hand at making them, or pop into Michel’s Patisserie in Helensvale to grab yourself some of these tempting cakey, chocolate and coconut treats!
Hit the pub
- The Australia Day long weekend is a great excuse to catch up and enjoy a few drinks with mates, or treat the family to a meal out.
- Head to one of these local favourite pubs around Nerang!
Have a splash
- Hit the beach or cool off over the Australia Day long weekend with a dip at your local pool around Nerang.
- The Gold Coast City Council operates 8 aquatic centres – check the website for each for opening hours and details:
Need a small fast cash loan for your long weekend festivities?
- However you plan to celebrate this Australia Day, if you need a quick and easy cash loan to see you through, City Finance can help!
- Pop in and visit our friendly staff at our Nerang branch for a chat.
- You can also phone us on 1300 10 10 33, or apply online today!