Summer is coming! It’s the perfect time to get out and about around Wollongong this summer for some free fun in the sunshine. Here’s our top tips for the best budget friendly ways to beat the heat around the Illawarra region this summer.
Splash on in
- If you have a pool at home – lucky you! You have the perfect spot to laze away those hot sunny days without splashing your cash away in Wollongong this summer.
- Add a bit of fun and magic to your dip with a few cheap pool toys.
- Head to Kmart at Figtree or Shellharbour to check out their range – who doesn’t want a unicorn or flamingo to float around in?
- If you haven’t got a pool – Kmart can fix that for you!
- You can get yourself a pool for less than $50, and have it set up and ready to dive in on in around 10 minutes.
Make it rain!
- If a pool isn’t your thing, why not take a walk down memory lane to the good old days of the backyard sprinkler?
- Grab yourself a sprinkler from Bunnings in Wollongong, Shellharbour or Warrawong for less than $7.
- Hook it up to the backyard hose and the whole family can have a blast running through the sprinkler shower.
- Your lawn will thank you too!
Pop into the pool
- If you’ve had your fun under the sprinkler and are still yearning for the real deal, take a dip at your local aquatic centre.
- Wollongong City Council operates five supervised fresh water chlorinated pools with professional life guard supervision.
- Even better, entry to Berkeley, Helensburgh or Western Suburbs pools is free! The chlorinated pools at Corrimal and Dapto are heated and there’s an entry fee.
- Or if you prefer to get salty, Wollongong Council lifeguards also supervise 3 saltwater pools, at Thirroul, the Continental pool at Cliff Rd at North Wollongong, or at Port Kembla.
- You can also take a dip at Beaton Park Leisure Centre, where they have a pool for lap swimming and swim lessons.
Cool down and unwind indoors
- On those days that it’s just too hot and you need a reprieve from the sun, head to the cool confines of your local Wollongong Library.
- Kick back in air conditioned comfort while you read a book or enjoy some of the huge range of facilities on offer.
- Lucky Wollongong residents are spoiled for choice when it comes to library locations – there’s 7 Wollongong libraries to choose from.
- Check out the detailed location and facilities available at the one closest to you:
- There’s also 5 Shellharbour City Library branches, with locations in Albion Park, Oak Flats, Shellharbour Village, and Warilla.
- And if you’re a little further south, there’s Kiama Library or Gerringong Library.
Hit the beach
- Let’s face it – there’s no better way to celebrate the gorgeous South Coast summer sunshine than with a trip to the beach. And even better, it’s completely free!
- During the swim season, Wollongong City Council patrols 17 beaches, stretching from Stanwell Park in the north to Windang in the south.
- Check this handy schedule to check the times your local beach has lifeguards on patrol.
Fill up the Esky
- Keep your day out on budget by coming prepared with cheap snacks.
- Fill your Esky with some cold drinks, fruit and snacks that you’ve pre-purchased at the supermarket.
- This will prevent having to buy expensive food and drinks and save you a stack of precious cash.
And of course – stay sun safe
- Don’t ruin your fun in the sun with a nasty case of sunburn.
- Stock up on sunscreen and remember to Slip, Slop, Slap!
Follow these top tips to celebrate the sunshine , without overheating your budgeting in Shellharbour, Kiama and Wollongong this summer.
Need some extra summertime cash, fast?
- If you need to cool off your overheated budget this summer with a fast small cash loan, City Finance understand and are here to help.
- Just pop in and visit our friendly staff at our Wollongong branch, or give us a call today on 4208 3321.
- You can also apply online today!