Our guide to the best ways to burn calories without burning a hole in your wallet!
As the weather cools down, it’s the perfect time of year to get yourself moving. Get out and about to warm up, enjoy some fresh air and sunlight and reap the benefits of exercise and fitness.
Here’s our top tips for ensuring you fit into those winter jeans without busting your budget!
Start walking….or even running
Getting fit really can be as simple as lacing up your trainers and heading out for a stroll, power walk or a run – whatever pace takes your fancy!
- Not only does walking (or running!) get your heart rate up and blood pumping, but it’s free, a great way to meet up with friends and enjoy a chat while you exercise.
- You can also explore parts of our gorgeous Gold Coast that you haven’t yet seen. Plus, you’ll be saving on fuel and cash by leaving the car or bus pass at home!
- If you enjoy group fitness, check out The Heart Foundation Community Walking Network. As Australia’s largest free community-based walking network, this is a brilliant way to take your first steps to increase your physical activity. Check out their huge range of walking groups in the Gold Coast area.
- For fun new trails and inspiration, check out Walking the Gold Coast’s comprehensive guide to all kinds of walks including through wetlands, along boardwalks, hiking through the Hinterland and along our beautiful beaches.
- Gold Coast City Council also has some great walking guides and maps, such as these for Mermaid Beach to Southport, and for Robina and Varsity Lakes.
- Runners will love jumping onto the Park Run bandwagon. At 7am every Saturday you can head to your nearest site to join a free 5km run. There’s a Park Run each week at Paradise Point, Coomera, Main Beach and Mudgeeraba, or check out their website for more info.
Outdoor gyms – fun and free!
The Gold Coast has lots of great parks kitted out with fun, stimulating and challenging fitness circuits. Take a walk or jog to your nearest park as a warm up, and enjoy the free facilities.
- These outdoor gyms are a great way to improve your fitness level and general coordination.
- Equipment varies in different parks and can include cross trainer, stepper, ab-hip swinger, ezy rider, shoulder press, rowing machine, cycle seat, butterfly press, push up and sit up boards.
- Check out the online guide to find the one nearest you.
Create your own outdoor workout
Prefer to head to your own local park or beach and craft your own workout session, without needing fancy equipment?
- You’ll find some great outdoor workout routines here and here.
Hit the beach
We all know how many gorgeous beaches the Gold Coast has to offer. But these are more than sun and sand – the beach is also a great place to get fit. Think about it: you’ve got soft sand, hard sand, water of varying depths and usually some stairs and benches to incorporate into a circuit to tone your body to perfection.
- Not sure where to start? Try this great beach circuit workout.
- Beach activities including body surfing, ocean swimming, surfing, and soft sand walking or running are all fun and free ways to get yourself super fit without spending a cent.
Jump on board and get active and healthy!
The Gold Coast City Council’s award winning Active & Healthy program is getting thousands of local residents up, out and active every week!
- Come and join in today – there are over 170 free or low cost activities running weekly across our beautiful area.
- The Active & Healthy program is a great way to exercise and make new friends while enjoying our beautiful parks, inhaling fresh air, and having a laugh.
- All activities are:
- free or low-cost
- with qualified and friendly instructors
- catered to suit all ages and fitness levels
- a great opportunity to meet new people and develop new interests
Check out the current Active & Healthy program and join in today!
Free personal training by phone
Give Queensland’s Get Healthy program a call! This free and confidential phone coaching service will give you all the info and support you need to make healthy lifestyle changes, including:
- healthy eating
- being physically active
- achieving and maintaining a healthy weight
The service offers up to 10 free coaching calls with a personal health coach for up to 6 months, great info and tips, a coaching journal to write down your goals and actions, as well as great website with tools to help you track your progress.
Give them a call today on 13 HEALTH – 13 43 25 84
Meet up with others in your area and work out together
Organised fitness is a great way to get in shape.
- You can also make some great new friends who’ll help keep you motivated and on track.
- But you don’t have to join an expensive gym or training club to enjoy group fitness. Jump online and check out Fitness Meetups in the Gold Coast to find fitness groups near you.
- From bootcamps to Zumba, hiking to running, there’s something for everyone, and many are free!
On your bike!
The Gold Coast has some spectacular cycling routes and trails.
The Gold Coast City Council has some great info on cycling around our beautiful area, including:
Gear up for the Commonwealth Games
As the Gold Coast prepares to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games, there’s a huge variety of sports and training options and facilities springing into life all over the area. It’s a great time to be getting fit and active!
Check out what’s happening near you and at your local sporting club.
And for those rainy days….
You don’t have to miss your workout on those days when the sun isn’t shining or you can’t leave the house.
- Borrow a fitness dvd from the library. You can burn 500 kilojoules doing a 20-minute resistance-training circuit in your lounge room – not to mention the feel-good endorphins you’ll generate!
- Jump online and jump into one of the gazillions of free workout videos that are available for free, covering everything from gentle exercises to get you started, to full 12-month fitness programs.
- Try popular sites like YouTube and Vimeo – just search for the type of workout you’re after, and off you go!
- Or check out the range of fitness collections available online through the Queensland Government’s Healthier, Happier program. There’s a great range of goal-based workouts available, completely free of charge.
So you can see – there really are no more excuses! There are loads of fun and free ways you can get moving and along the road to fitness, without busting your budget. Get started today!