8 March 2017
Bargain basement homes (that you can really live in!)
In these crazy times where median house prices have soared well out of the reach of most average-earning Aussies, believe it or not, there are still a few bargains waiting to be snapped up.
Okay, so you won’t be living in the lap of luxury, but for less than $50,000, you could be a home owner!
Each of these is an actual house – no caravans or sheds here! – and is in liveable condition.
Ah, the serenity!
- Potential home owners in sunny Queensland should head outback and check out this two-bedroom cottage in peaceful Muttaburra for $48,000.
- You’ll have over 1,000m2 of your own land and a quaint cottage featuring french doors leading onto your front verandah, and an open plan kitchen and living area.
- Or if you need an extra bedroom and can scrape another $10,000 together, how about this home in Mitchell, asking $60,000.
- Also on over 1,000m2 of land, this character laden home has lots of beautiful original features include ceiling roses and intricate woodwork above doorways – and it was once the local Ambulance Station!
If you’re not afraid of getting your hands dirty with a little DIY, check out these renovator’s delights in Victoria.
- This 2 bedroom cottage in Birchip in the Mallee region is just down the road from the local school – and it’s already got split system air conditioning installed!
- Sure, it needs a little work to knock it into shape – but with a price tag of $39,000, you could be a home owner.
- Or head further west to Jeparit – birthplace of former Prime Minister Sir Robert Menzies.
- Here you could have your very own renovator’s delight on over 1,000m2 for just $45,000.
- The home needs lots of TLC but there’s 3 bedrooms and 2 separate sheds on the property, so it’s a great start!
New South Wales
You might be surprised to learn that you can buy a house in NSW for under $50,000!
- Simply head to Broken Hill to strike gold.
- There’s a couple of options here, including this $30,000 cottage in the centre of town. Sure, some of the floors are missing – but if you’re up for some DIY, you could have it ship-shape in no time!
- Or check out this 3 bedroom character filled home next to the local school. This also needs a lot of love – but it’s in a great location and had lots of potential.
- Or consider this cottage in Gulargambone, three hours north of Mudgee. Reduced to just $45,000, it offers 2 bedrooms and a sleep-out, along with a functional kitchen (with new fridge!) and bathroom/laundry (with new washing machine!).
For a bargain in WA head to Norseman, 726 kilometres east of Perth at the start of the Eyre highway.
- Here you could snap up this three-bedder on Prinsep Street for just $39,000.
- Or there’s this 2 bedder on Johns Street – which features a modern kitchen and is just $45,000.
- Or be the king or queen of your very own pink palace – and we mean pink! – close to the town centre, for $49,500.
- Fancy an underground house? Head to the mining town of Cooper Pedy and check out this 5 bedroom ‘dugout’.
- Sure, it’s not quite a house yet, but it’s certainly got the makings of one – and it’s priced at only $25,000.
- If living above-ground is more your thing, head to Lock on the Eyre Peninsula, where you can snap up this 3 bedroom air conditioned home for just $40,000.
- And in Wirrabara this gorgeous old stone house is on 2,860m2 and priced at just $45,000 – but it is of course in need of a lot of TLC.
To nab a housing bargain in Tassie, head to Rosebery on the west coast.
- There’s a few options to choose from here, including this sturdy home priced at just $44,000.
- While in need of renovation, it has 3 bedrooms, beautiful mountain views and is in a quiet street close to town.
- Or check out this 3 bedder set on a quiet corner for just $47,000. Also in need of TLC, but a great way to become a home owner for under $50,000.
- And in the mining town of Queenstown you’ll find this cosy one-bedder with mountain views for just $36,000.