Where to kick back and enjoy some tunes
Whether you’re young or old, into heavy metal, jazz or house beats – everyone loves music. And there’s nothing better than enjoying your tunes live and soaking up that feel-good vibe. Being on a tight budget or a low income can put expensive concert tickets out of reach. Fortunately, there’s plenty of other ways to enjoy live music around Sydney CBD, Bondi Junction and Newtown area.
Here’s where you can enjoy live music around Sydney CBD
Get your live music fix for nix
The club and pub scene
- Head to Frankies on Hunter Street in Sydney, where there’s always live music on offer, and always free.
- The Oxford Art Factory in Darlinghurst hosts a range of music acts. Many of their Gallery Bar performances are free or by donation.
- The Newsagency in Marrickville is an intimate and funky live performance space where you can even BYO. They host a range of live music, and some of it is free!
- Fredas in Chippendale offer free entry to many of their gigs if you’re there early enough. Check the gig listings on their website for details.
- The Lord Raglan Hotel in Redfern has free live music on weekends, and is a great spot to take in a blues and soul vibe.
- If it’s jazz that makes your heart sing, then head to Venue 505 in Surry Hills.
- This timeless jazz club feature some of the best jazz acts in town, and entry is often free!
- Check the gig listing on their website for event details.
- Bring a few laughs to your live music experience by creating it yourself!
- Karaoke is always a fun night out with mates. Whether you’re brave enough to take to the stage or prefer the role of adoring (or horrified!) fan, the live music laughs are guaranteed.
- Head to the Orient Hotel in The Rocks on Friday nights to grab the mic and become a rock star!
- The action kicks off at 9:30pm, and entry is free before 9pm.
The big gigs
Sure, you might need to stretch your budget a little (or perhaps a lot!), but sometimes a big name comes along and you’ve just gotta find a way to be there.
- Around Inner Sydney you might catch some big names performing at Newtown’s Enmore Theatre, or at ANZ Stadium or Qudos Bank Arena.
- Try your luck on some discounted last minute tickets. Head to Lasttix to check out what cheap tickets are on offer around Inner Sydney.
- But be warned about buying dodgy tickets online. If the ticket you purchase from an unauthorised seller isn’t genuine, you’re likely to be refused admission to the gig. You’re essentially throwing your cold hard cash down the drain!
With plenty of free and cheap options to get into the groove, hit the town and enjoy some live music around Sydney CBD today!