Keep the kids entertained these holidays without busting your budget
School holidays are here again! You can be sure the kids will still be pestering you for fun things to do – and when you’re unemployed or trying to get by on a low income, keeping the kids entertained on your tight budget can be a real challenge.
Beat boredom without needing to blow a load of cash on expensive outings and entertainment – here’s some fun, free or cheap ideas!
Roar! Head to the beautiful Wollongong Botanic Garden these holidays for their awesome Dinosaurs in the Garden activities.
- Kids will love these interactive and hands-on dinosaur themed activities which explore some rare and extinct plants and animals, and help teach kids about sustainability while they’re having fun.
- Activities include a Dinosaurs Treasure Hunt, Ancient Fossil Hunting and Making, and the ‘No More Dodos’ garden show.
- Suitable for kids aged 3 to 12 years, activities run from 10am – 12:30pm each day from Monday 18th – Friday 22nd
- $10 per child or $20 for a family of 2 or more children – no bookings necessary.
Budding Picassos should head to the Wollongong Art Gallery for some of their fun school holiday workshops.
- Workshops include monster mash ceramics, rainforest collage and jungle masks, steel city painting, pop up prints and book making.
- There’s something to suit all ages from 5 through to 14 years. Check the brochure for dates, details and booking information.
Splash into some sporty holiday fun
Head to Wollongong’s Beaton Park or Lakeside Leisure Centres to splash into their jam-packed school holiday program.
- Kids will love the big pool inflatable sessions on Wednesday 13th and 20th April, either from 11am – 1pm or 3pm – 5pm. Just $6 per child.
- Kids from 5 – 12 years of age can try the FitKids program. It’s on at Lakeside at 4:30pm on Wednesday 13th and 20th, and at Beaton Park at 4:15pm on Thursday 14th and 21st. Just $2 per child or FREE for children whose parents or guardians are members.
- Super fish swimmers will enjoy the Fast Track Squads on Wednesday 13th and Friday 15th April, from 10.15am to 12.15pm. A fun swimming and fitness circuit session, just $2 per child. Spaces are limited for this one, so you’ll need to book.
- Teens aged 14 – 18 years can enjoy $2 fitness centre entry all holidays, and give the gym, cardio and group exercise classes a try (excluding Pump & Aquaerobics). And kids 10 – 13 years old can also use the cardio equipment for just $2 a visit.
- Or why not have a hit of squash or tennis? Court Hire is just $2 per half hour for kids aged 5 – 18 years, and includes racquet and ball hire.
Get them smiling and silly!
BigFatSmile’s jam packed school holiday Fun Club program operates across more than a dozen sites around the Wollongong area, and hosts an irresistible range of activities to keep the kids busy these school holidays.
- With fun excursions including Tree Top Adventure Park and the Wollongong Science Centre, and in-centre days including magic shows, Lego, cooking, craft and pyjama movie days, there’s something for everyone!
- For kids aged 5 – 12 years old, some centres open as early as 6:30am and through till 6pm, so working parents needs are covered too.
- Bookings essential – check out BigSmileClub for your local centre and program details.
Hit the park!
It doesn’t get much simpler – or cheaper! – than heading to your local park for hours of fun!
- Throw some snacks and scooters into the car and get exploring – why not use the Illawarra park finder to venture to a new playground? Parks are a free, fun way to get the kids off your back and work off all of that excess energy!
- Don’t forget to pack yourself a picnic rug and a book – if you’re lucky, you might even get a few moments peace to relax and enjoy the sunshine!
In celebration of Youth Week, from 8th – 17th April the Wollongong Youth Centre will have some fun activities to keep older kids out of your hair these holidays.