Cheap ways to soak up some fun in the sun
The sun is shining and the mercury’s rising! Celebrate summer by getting out and about on the beautiful Gold Coast.
Here’s some top cheap, easy and safe ways to soak up the sunshine, without emptying your wallet.
Hit the beach
There’s no better – or cheaper! – way to celebrate the gorgeous summer sunshine than with a trip to the beach.
At the beach, conditions can change very quickly. What may seem like calm and safe conditions can quickly turn.
- Remember these rules to stay safe at the beach this summer:
- Don’t swim alone
- If there are no flags up, don’t go in the water
- Only swim at patrolled beaches
- Swim between the red and yellow flags
- Follow the advice of lifeguards and lifesavers
- If you get into trouble, stay calm and raise your arm
- Check out the Gold Coast’s handy guide to beach safety for some top tips to stay safe this summer.
Dogs don’t have to miss out!
Your pooch doesn’t have to miss out on the summer fun at the beach.
- You can walk your dog on most Gold Coast beaches, as long as you keep him on a leash, don’t go within 200m of flagged areas, and clean up after your dog.
- There are also 3 off leash beach areas where your dog can have a run around – check out these marked maps of The Spit, Tallebudgera Beach or Palm Beach.
Pop into the pool
Want peace of mind while you and the family take a dip?
- Gold Coast City Council operates 8 aquatic centres which have professional life guard supervision.
- Check the website for each for their location, facilities, opening hours and entry fee details:
- Or if you prefer to get salty, head to one of the many safe ocean swimming enclosures on the Gold Coast.
Got a pool at home?
Keep your family and friends safe – remember to keep watch!
- Tragically, 66 drownings occurred in Queensland between 2015 and 2016.
- Keep watch! Drownings can occur because no-one is properly supervising use of the pool.
- Make sure you, your family and your pool are ready for a safe and sunny summer.
- Check out this handy information on home pool safety from the Royal Life Saving Society.
If you can stretch your budget a little, treat yourselves to some fun and adventure at AquaSplash in the Broadwater Parklands.
Fill up the Esky
The summer sun means you (and the kids!) will quickly work up a thirst and be looking for a snack.
- Don’t let your day out cost the earth and have to hit the local shops for expensive refreshments.
- Keep an Esky on hand at home, and when packing for your day out throw in some cold drinks, fruit and snacks that you’ve pre-purchased at the supermarket.
- This will save you a small fortune and prevent a blow to your budget taking the shine off your day.
Stay sun safe
The last thing you want is for your fun in the sun to be ruined by a dose of nasty sunburn.
- Remember to Slip, Slop, Slap!
- Slip on a shirt, slap on some 50+ sunscreen, and slap on a hat.
So go on, what are you waiting for? Get out there and enjoy a beautiful summer on the Gold Coast!