It’s that time of year again. Time to celebrate all things footy!
Whether you follow the AFL or NRL, two big weekends of footy finals fever are upon us.
The Preliminary Finals for both the AFL and NRL are on Friday 22 and Saturday 23 September. The main event – the big Grand Final – then kicks off for the AFL at 2:30pm on Saturday 30 September, and NRL at 7:30pm on Sunday October 1.
Here’s some budget busting ways to take in all the action of Footy Finals Fever on the Gold Coast!
Head to your local pub
Catch all the action on the big sports screens over a drink with mates at your local.
- Hit the Mermaid Beach Tavern for a chance to win while you watch! You get an entry into a team merchandise comp with every XXXX purchase. They’re got a great space to keep the kids happy and some tasty food for you to settle in and enjoy while you watch the footy action!
- The Star at Broadbeach promise to be the ultimate in Grand Final action. They’re throwing a ‘Live on the Lawn’ party in the outdoor garden bar. Sit back in a bean bag and watch all the AFL and NRL Grand Final action on a giant screen.
- Or head to the Wattle Hotel in Upper Coomera to soak up the atmosphere. Bring the kids along, they’ll love the fabulous kids playground.
- Wherever you are on the Gold Coast, check out what’s happening at your local pub, and enjoy the footy on the big screen!
Head to your local club
What better place to immerse yourself in footy finals fever than at your nearest club.
- Don’t miss all the footy finals action at the Southport Sharks, the local home of AFL.
- They’re screening the AFL Grand Final live in 4 different zones, including on the 5.25m big screen, plus there’s free footy food, special prices at a footy burger bar and face painting for the kids.
- Southport Sharks will also screen the NRL Grand Final on the huge screen, with free footy food at half time!
- Clubs like the Burleigh Bears Leagues and Tugun Leagues Club are the local home of rugby league and promise be the ultimate place to be as the finals kick off.
BBQ with your mates
Save a stack of cash and skip the worry about how to get home after a few drinks. Host a footy finals party at home!
- Check out this handy guide to hosting a grand final bbq. There’s some practical and money saving tips that will ensure success.
- If you do want to whip up some tasty treats for your guests, check out these fabulous footy finals food ideas.
- Ask everyone to BYO drinks and some meat for the bbq. This ensures there’s loads for everyone, and keeps the cost down for you as the host.
- The basic rules are – have loads of food, ice, good company and a great TV to watch the action!
- Check out this handy Grand Finals Kit for a great planning checklist, ideas and signage.
Up the ante with a sweep
Don’t lose a stack of cash betting online or at the pub. Stay on budget while getting into the swing of footy finals fever by holding a sweep with your mates.
- Options include first goal scorer, first try scorer or first points scored.
- Check your local paper or favourite sports website for a template, or use this sweep from a prior season as inspiration to create your own.
- Then sit back as the action kicks off, and wait to see who wins!
Get the kids involved
So whether you teams wins or loses, you can be sure of having a great time while you soak up the fun of Footy Finals Fever on the Gold Coast!
Need some extra cash for the footy finals?
- If you need a quick cash loan to get into the swing of footy finals fever, City Finance can help!
- Simply pop in for a chat with our friendly Southport branch staff, or give us a call today on 1300 438 666.
- You can also apply online today!