Take a break without busting your budget
Easter is the ultimate long weekend – four long and lazy days to chill out and enjoy time with friends and family.
- It’s the perfect time to get away for a few days.
- But when cash is tight – whether it be because you’re unemployed, a student, on benefits or earning a low income – it can be really hard to afford a mini break.
- With a little planning, you’ll be amazed how far a small amount of cash can take you.
Check out these tips and ideas for a cheap (or free!) long weekend getaway
Enjoy the great outdoors and all nature has to offer, with almost not a cent to spend.
- Wherever you are around Australia, here’s a handy guide to some great camping spots near you:
- You don’t have to own expensive camping gear. Put the word out to family and friends and loan the basics. Grab a tent, some sleeping mats and bags, a camp stove and esky, and you’re set!
Get away from it all while enjoying the comforts of home.
- Arrange a house swap, and holiday at someone else’s home, while they holiday at yours! Everybody wins, and you both holiday for free!
- Perhaps you could arrange a swap with friends.
- There’s some great sites that can help – Aussie House Swap, House Swap Holidays or Home Exchange.
- If you’re not keen on having someone stay at your place, consider lining up a short term housesitting stint instead.
- This lets you holiday at someone else’s home for free, without having to prepare your own home to host guests.
- Check out sites like Aussie House Sitters, House Carers or Mind a Home.
Holiday at home
You don’t have to leave home to enjoy a relaxed long weekend vibe and try a few new things.
- Save on travel costs and time by exploring closer to home instead.
- Play tourist in your own hometown and explore the local sights through fresh, relaxed, holidaying eyes!
- Think like a tourist and visit your local visitor information centre or Google your neighborhood for ideas and activities you wouldn’t normally do.
- If you live in a big city, get out and about on the buses, trains or ferries. Explore nearby National Parks, try hiking, abseiling, or paddle boarding.
- Commit to staying off your phone and emails, and forget about chores like laundry and cleaning.
- You’ll have a fabulous relaxing holiday, without having to leave home!
How are you spending your Easter long weekend? Share your tips with us!