Free and easy exercise ideas the whole family can enjoy
The family that plays together, stays together! Participate in some fun family fitness in Newcastle while exercising together and enjoying a few laughs. It needn’t cost you a cent, and you’ll all enjoy the feel-good vibe.
Here’s some great fun and free ways to get the whole family moving
Hit the park
Have a ball running around the local park – take a ball, frisbee, cricket set or whatever you fancy!
- For that added fitness burst, the Newcastle area has some great parks kitted out with fun, stimulating and challenging fitness circuits.
- Fitness equipment is available at several parks around Newcastle, including Islington Park in Newcastle or Braye Park in Waratah.
- Let your furry four legged family member join in the fun! Parks where your dog can happily play off the leash include Ballast Ground in Stockton, Dixon Park Reserve in Merewether, and King Edward Park and Nesca Park in Newcastle.
Family Fun Run
Got some little joggers in the family? Make it an affair of fun family fitness in Newcastle!
- Take a regular fun run together, without the usual expensive entry fees.
- Jump on the Park Run At 8am every Saturday you can head to your nearest site to join a free 5km run.
- Join the Newcastle area Parkrun each Saturday at Throsby Creek.
On your bike!
Grab a bike and a helmet for each member of the family, and head for a Sunday cycle.
Get back to nature
Take a bushwalk with the family. It’s free and fun, and a great way to enjoy a chat together while you exercise.
- You don’t have to venture any further than your own backyard to enjoy a workout with the family.
- Create an outdoor obstacle course, play a game of ‘tip’ or have a family tug-of-war.
- You could also set up your own putt-putt golf course or have a water pistol fight!
- Whatever you and the kids enjoy – you needn’t look any further than your own backyard!
Indoor fun family fitness in Newcastle
For those days when it’s pouring with rain or you’re stuck at home – you and the kids can still enjoy some exercise together indoors.
- Jump online to sites like YouTube and Vimeo and search for family or kids workouts – there’s millions to choose from, for free!
- Or why not borrow a fitness DVD from your local Newcastle Region Library? You can burn 500 kilojoules doing a 20-minute resistance-training circuit in your lounge room.
- You could also play a Wii or Play Station sports game that gets you moving – the kids will love it!
So no matter where you are in Newcastle, or whatever the weather, there’s loads of fun and free ways you can get your family moving along the road to fitness, without busting your budget. Get started today!